Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Open Source & Free Photo/Image editing/workflow software
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pals,
a new Faststone 3.8 Beta with Multilingual Interface is out.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerBeta.htm

FastStone Image Viewer 3.8 Beta 2009-03-19
Multi-language Version

New Features:
* User interface has been translated into 14 languages
* Added option "Color Subsampling" (also called "Chroma Subsampling") for saving JPEG files
* Added option "Number of Copies" in the "Print" dialog
* Optimized for faster startup
* Fixed a bug in version 3.7 that the program cannot auto-refresh when viewing files in a network folder
* Fixed a bug in previous versions that the program cannot view animated GIF files with zero frame delay time
* Other minor improvements

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one I love FSviewer Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Darktable Reply with quote

There is a new open source Linux software in the developement. It is called Darktable (darkroom & light table) and though it is still in early developement stage, one can actually convert raw files with it. I am sure that the developer(s) would appreciate if more people would test it, offer ideas, and so on. So far the project seems very interesting and very very promising. Googling or searching in sourceforge will help to find it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Darktable Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
There is a new open source Linux software in the developement. It is called Darktable (darkroom & light table) and though it is still in early developement stage, one can actually convert raw files with it. I am sure that the developer(s) would appreciate if more people would test it, offer ideas, and so on. So far the project seems very interesting and very very promising. Googling or searching in sourceforge will help to find it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

http://darktable.sourceforge.net/

Seems to use libraw, hopefully in a way that avoids the defects of dcraw. I have been folowing libraw development for a while now.

Unfortunately it seems to use libgegl, the long-awaited 16-bit update to the GIMP processing library. The author of GEGL seems to think, for example, that bilinear interpolation is 'good enough'.

I will give it a go under Linux. So far I have not found a rew converter that comes close to the (awful, clunky, slow, crashy) CaptureNX2 in terms of image quality. The differences between raw converters are substantial, and a poor one can make an image with a fine lens look as if it was taken with a crappy consumer zoom.

The idea of zero-latency interface through storing commands to be used on export is a good one in theory. It depends on the implementation how well it works in practice. (Corel Painter for example used this method with dismal results).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Hey pals,
a new Faststone 3.8 Beta with Multilingual Interface is out.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerBeta.htm

Thanks! I was using an earlier version (3.5) and just updated to the latest, 3.9

hasan wrote:

* Added option "Color Subsampling" (also called "Chroma Subsampling") for saving JPEG files

Thats a major feature. I was previously using a JPG and PNG export plugin for Photoshop, specificaly because it gave more control over the JPEG export including control of chroma subsampling.

Depending on the image, disabling this can make a big difference in the quality of the JPEG.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I normally use Gimp for all operations and Ufraw to "develop" my pictures, but I recently came across another program to treat raw files : Raw Therapee.
I quite like it even though I haven't used it so much yet...

François

PS: I edited my post on first page about Exif/IPTC/Geotagging, as there were changes.