Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Trip 35 Zuiko lens on a Nex!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Olympus Trip 35 Zuiko lens on a Nex! Reply with quote

Now we're talking Smile I had a broken Oly Trip 35 hanging around with a dented, but optically perfect d.Zuiko 40mm f2.8 lens built in. Having just picked up my Nex-3 and spare body cap, I put my dremel to good use Wink

Unfortunately it was a rush job and the Mk I adapter will need to be revised to enable infinity focusing and to allow apertures other than f2.8. However, the sun was out so I shot a few pics at Moors Valley country park whilst on a miniture train.

Verdict...it reminds me of shots taken with my other Trip 35, oddly enough! Laughing

pp: Very slight sharpening, very slight contrast boost. Colours as they came out of the camera in AWB mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, we had similar ideas.
I have (or better had) a broken Yashica Electro and tried to mount the lens to my NEX. It is possible and not too hard, but I made a silly mistake and destroyed the focus helicoid. Crying or Very sad

As soon as I get hold of another broken Electro (with functioning lens!) I will try again - now I know what and what not to do. Wink

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic!! Quality is pretty good! I take my hat off to you for your ingenuity.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be loads of crazy lenses we can adapt to these mirrorless cameras Laughing I think that last photo is f5.6 by the way, my makeshift "hold the aperture blades device" (card) may have come loose Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! this zuiko make the Nex look nicer
how long your wife had to stay immobile until you focus the nextoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this kind of experiments...
And the results are great!. First shots are less contrasted, the latest ones are superb!.
Only the bokeh is a bit harsh, but the overall result is really good!
Congrats!.

Have you been able of taking some shots on the process?. I got a few spare Trips and maybe.... Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu, it's easy to focus the nex with the mf mode Smile Plus, she's very patient

Laughing

Jes - Once I've got everything working I will detail the process Smile Getting the lens out was relatively straighforward thanks to this link:

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/technique/olympus-trip-35-1200th-modification/

I needed to glue the shutter curtains open (they are inside the lens housing) and I haven't sussed out to make the aperture fully manual yet...hopefully I'll have an update soon Smile

I made a hole in a nex body cap and screwed it in I need to push the lens a bit further towards the sensor though as I can only focus to around 5-6 metres at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
poilu, it's easy to focus the nex with the mf mode Smile Plus, she's very patient

Laughing

Jes - Once I've got everything working I will detail the process Smile Getting the lens out was relatively straighforward thanks to this link:

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/technique/olympus-trip-35-1200th-modification/

I needed to glue the shutter curtains open (they are inside the lens housing) and I haven't sussed out to make the aperture fully manual yet...hopefully I'll have an update soon Smile

I made a hole in a nex body cap and screwed it in I need to push the lens a bit further towards the sensor though as I can only focus to around 5-6 metres at the moment.

Thanks for the pointer!. One of my trips has the lens loose, I'll try to experiment with it.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody wants it, I have a lens from my broken Trip35. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have (or better had) a broken Yashica Electro and tried to mount the lens to my NEX. It is possible and not too hard, but I made a silly mistake and destroyed the focus helicoid. Crying or Very sad

As soon as I get hold of another broken Electro (with functioning lens!) I will try again - now I know what and what not to do. Wink

I made a comparison test in ~1985 beetween
    Zuiko 50/1.4
    Zuiko 55/1.2
    Zuiko 35/70 3.6
    Vivitar 35/70 3.5 (komine)
    and yashica electro 1.7

The BEST lens was the 1.7 from yashica electro !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I made a comparison test in ~1985 beetween
    Zuiko 50/1.4
    Zuiko 55/1.2
    Zuiko 35/70 3.6
    Vivitar 35/70 3.5 (komine)
    and yashica electro 1.7

The BEST lens was the 1.7 from yashica electro !

I know. I have a working Electro in excellent condition as well and I love that lens. That's why I wanted to adapt it from my broken copy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job Graham! Bokeh kicks ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got to resolve the aperture issue with the Oly lens though. There is a screw at the top to open and close the blades which sticks out. At the moment I'm thinking of cutting a hole into the adapter, but I really need to take the lens apart and doing something a little more sophisticated the mechanism.

Watch as the price of battered Electros and Trips starts rising now Laughing Seriously though, the caps are a couple of pounds each on the bay, and broken cameras can be had for not very much at all Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its a while since this was posted but I just want to add my 2d worth.

First, well done on a classy conversion. Nice!

I use reversing rings to make adapters. They are just over 1mm thin and made of metal. A ring of the right thickness can be glued to them and the lens attached to the ring. The 49mm filter thread also acts as a key for the glue and as a guide to centralising your adapter.

Body caps are not much cheaper but the rings are better: tighter fit, locks into place and no drilling. I pay about £3 inc post from China or about £5 from GB if I want one in a rush.

I use pound shop epoxy. It sticks like $hit to a blanket

edit: Oh, how did you do on the aperture?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst a bunch of spares/repairs cameras bought cheap is a Trip thats been tampered with I think If I cant repair it this could be my next project.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should one of those lenses fit my om adapter for my EPL1 have seen a few at reasonable prices ( just a thought )
as I thought most oly lenses are interchangeable .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very vintage. Very interesting !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

I am trying to adapt the lens from Olympus Trip 35.
Did you succeed in controlling the aperture?

I have no idea right now how to get rid of that metal rod sticking out from the back, while retaining control of the aperture.