Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus om1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Olympus om1 Reply with quote

Just how good is the OM1n? Ive read so much about it and all seems to be good, I already have the OM2n and have sort of reached a decision to sell off my Canon manual gear and also the Pentax ME that I have,
TIA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell into loving the OM1 by accident, a great deal at a charity shop saw me walking away with the OM1, three lenses and a flash for £20. I did have to put a battery in it, then later I did the light seals, but I'm not complaining.
The camera is a joy to use, although it's compact it still feels well made and good quality, and the lenses are the same, small and perfectly formed, and optically excellent. What's not to like about an OM1? Very Happy But I didn't sell my Canon or Pentax gear because of it, and I doubt that I would. I wouldn't care to argue if it's better or worse than any of the competitors cameras, it's just different in its conception.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....................No fun with M42 lenses if you only have an Olympus film camera Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Im going to have to return the om1n to the vender as when advancing the film the shutter curtains return to where they started and I cannot trip the shutter. Is it what is called "shutter capping"? Bloody nuisance whatever.
TIA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shame because it is a lovely camera to use. It was my first 'real' SLR camera. It cost me £200 in 1976. Not so compatible with adapters for other lens mounts but you didnt worry about that in the old days.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vender has agreed for me to return the lens for a full refund plus postage costs both ways, cant say fairer than that can you. If he can fix it he will return it to me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trev wrote:
Vender has agreed for me to return the lens for a full refund plus postage costs both ways, cant say fairer than that can you. If he can fix it he will return it to me

Sounds like the ideal ebayer. You wouldn't care to reveal who he is??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure will, he's on UK ebay as CAMCENTRE and goes by the name of JIM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, been informed that the OM1n is only fit for spares, damned shame as it was in really excellent condition. however the seller has refunded the purchase price plus his postage costs plus mine to return the camera to him.
So all in all Im quite satisfied.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad. Don't hesitate to buy another - it is a gem of a camera. I have one, and three lenses - the Zuiko 21mm f3.5, the Zuiko 50mm f1.8, and the Zuiko 100mm f2.8. I figured this was the perfect trio for the camera, and I used the OM-1 as my main SLR for years. The only SLR I prefer is the Pentax MX, which is even smaller. When I got one, I kept my Olympus.

My skinny on the OM-1 is that the meters are usually dead, moreso than other cameras from that era. Don't know if that's true or whether I heard it from a purple zitted green-skinned troll under the Nechako River Bridge in Prince George. Doesn't matter to me much because I use a lightmeter anyway, but it might be an issue.

Olympus lenses are consistently sharp and good across the board. They were as popular in England as the Canon was in NA - all of the newspaper guys used them there. Again, a gem.