Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Olympus OM? Reply with quote

What should i be expecting from olympus om series lenses? Especially those in 50/1.4? Are they any good?
Please share your experiences with them.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OM 50mm F3.5 Macro and is excellent lens... I will go even further and in my opinion one of the best macro lenses ever made. It might be some better ones out there but for the price/performance ratio unbeatable.

check here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=49692

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 50 1.4 and 1.8, and they are excellent lenses, although I use the 1.4 most. The 28 2.8 is another excellent lens that you wouldn't be disappointed with as well. I use them all on my NEX5 and an OM1, great results on both.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all Oly OM primes are excellent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
all Oly OM primes are excellent

+1

I made one of best image with OM 50mm f1.4

http://forum.mflenses.com/three-best-shoots-in-2007-t4270.html

Kea portrait

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM? Reply with quote

Hi!

Jvg wrote:
What should i be expecting from olympus om series lenses? Especially those in 50/1.4? Are they any good?
Please share your experiences with them.

I have, use, and love Olympus OM lenses. Here's a post of mine about them, followed by a bunch of discussion from others about them:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=53116&olympus-50mm-f1-4-impressions-t53116.html#1262592

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks everyone for valuable input. Much appreciated.

I dug up some of zuikos, mostly 50mm primes (1.4, 1.8 and 2's), and their prices are on par with my M42 primes, and even cheaper. So, i was wondering, how do they measure up/compare to M42 normals (helios 44-2, biotar 50/2, industar l/z, mamiya's 55/1.4)..

If i were to buy an adapter and zuiko 50/1.4, can that be considered as an upgrade, or will its performance be the same as above mentioned m42 lenses?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Oly 50mm 1.4 wide open is a touch soft, but has oodles of character. The best thing about this lens is the DoF preview button, which is perfect for metering Smile

-Ben

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I was informally comparing some 50mm lenses on a target 20-30 feet away, probably at f/2. I had heard that the early (thorium) OM 50/1.4s were rather soft, but surprisingly the OM was among the best 50s I tried that day.

Maybe I have a good copy of the OM lens and bad copy of the others?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I've been very happy with the multicoated OM's (21/3.5 & 50/1.4 & 1.8MIJ)performance on my NEX-7,
I've been shooting lots of low light shots with near by street lamps in the frame, and they were the best
for controlling coma and astigmatism(Canon FL & Fd's the worst save the SSC 24/2.Cool.
Overall: sharpness & color are above average.