Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 170mm 80mm macro close-up lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Olympus OM 170mm 80mm macro close-up lens Reply with quote

Found one of these on e-bay for a reasonable price and there appears to be no profile on MFlenses (That I could find, it is a bit of a wierd designation, but then it is a awierd lens) This is a lens modifying lens akin to the old school close up lenses that you would add to the filter ring of say your Kodak Retina or Voigtlander Bessamatic to get close focus. Except it is designed to be added to the end of a 1:1 Macro 80mm F4 in use on a 65-116 extension tube. This gives up to a 2:1 image. I had read about one somewhere in my never ending search for cool old (AND NEW) optical tech. So I set the search term and waited. This one came up as LNIB. Put down the bid and wait. YAY I win. Here is a shot from my first set with it.

First a cell phone shot (with the new samsung s20 5g) The wind bottle will be explained a bit further in.

It is a smaller recreation of one of my favorite shots of all time. Red wine in the cup of a pixie cup lichen. It is a great and challenging test for a lens. It allows for assessing color gradations, sharpness of a macro image system. Plus they just look really cool. (I just used the one drop as the 2008 Girardet Baco Noir Reserve is a fantastic wine, and too good to waste for optical reasons)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that lens and that diopter lens too, pretty good as your results prove! Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture but shouldn't the title be 17mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box say it is its 17cm so 170mm My guess is the combination of the additional lens plus the 80mm gives a FL of 170mm. This is a link that gives more pertinents to the system:

http://www.alanwood.net/olympus/close-up-lens-170.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
The box say it is its 17cm so 170mm My guess is the combination of the additional lens plus the 80mm gives a FL of 170mm. This is a link that gives more pertinents to the system:

The paperwork also lists f=170mm.
The supplementary has a focal length of 170mm (making it a +5.88 diopter) - a rather unusual strength.
I find the labeling confusing as the 80mm is quite prominant but fairly irrelevant it will work to give increased macro magnification with any lens.
Clearly it's strength has been chosen for a highly specific use (with an OM 80 macro & tubes) but I don't find it's box makes that at all obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:

No, of course not. The focal length of that diopter lens is given as 170mm, so its diopter strength is 1/f*1000 = 5.88 dioptries (as mentioned above) - and the (irrelevant) total focal length with diopter is 54mm 1/(1/f1 + 1/f2)

Indeed strange why Olympus mentioned its focal length and not the diopter strength...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really odd, Lens 80mm the Closeup 17cm, I lost mark in an exam 50+ years ago for not using crazy units.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite odd nomenclature and unusual optical arrangement it seems to be quite good. This was with full extension so a true 2:1 shot. That particular pixie cup is much smaller (maybe a 1/4 inch tall) than the ones in my first photo which was taken with the Pentax 67 55mm f4 with a bunch of extension tubes and can be seen here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-67-55mm-f4-on-canon-60d-with-macro-tubes-t73530,highlight,%2Bpentax+%2B67+%2B55mm+%2Bf4.html