Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus macro 80mm f/4 and 135mm f/4.5 (+first sample)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Olympus macro 80mm f/4 and 135mm f/4.5 (+first sample) Reply with quote

This just crossed my path in bit of an awkward way.... the former owner had asked his children if they had any interest in his OM4ti with a set of (very nice!) lenses, they didn't want it (!!).

Personally i had never heard of these nor had i ever seen them before. There isn't a lot of information on the net about this set, not like other macro lenses like the Bokina, Tamron 90 or Kiron, which are very very common and used by lots of enthousiasts.

The tube in the picture (called the OM 65-116) really is something special. Works like a zoom, which can be locked at any prefered point to give you the magnification you are looking for.

Has anyone here ever used these?

I have an OM-EOS adapter, i will use these soon and post some samples. It is quite an extensive set which goes to 2:1 at maximum with the OM f=17cm close-up lens for the 80mm.

Olympus macro set by René Maly, on Flickr

Last edited by TrueLoveOne on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus was well known for producing exceptional macro lenses. You should be satisfy with the performance of both lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set of bellows lenses! There is quite a bit of info about these on the web. The 80mm was optimized for 1:1. Look for measurements on Mark Goodman's Lens Testing pages.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have those too. Data is on my macrolenses site.
Quite good lenses, no wonder them being made ny Olympus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That variable extension tube has been creeping its way onto my wish list.

I'd love to see some proper samples from either of those lenses, I can't say I've ever seen any from a digital camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, impressive list! Shocked

Quote:
I'd love to see some proper samples from either of those lenses, I can't say I've ever seen any from a digital camera.

Exactly. There is technical info, but no example pictures, i was hoping to see some here! However, i can make some with this set and update this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
That variable extension tube has been creeping its way onto my wish list.

The OM 65-116 is a very nice and sturdy piece of kit. It works best combined with a helicoid, using the sliding action for rough adjustment and the helicoid for fine tuning. The later OM macro lenses (those with AUTO in their name, referring to their auto aperture function) have a helicoid built in, the earlier preset ones don't. I don't own any Olympus OM macro auto lenses, I use my OM 65-116 with an OM to M42 adapter, an M42 helicoid and macro and enlarging lenses adapted to M42. Disadvantages are or can be the long minimum extension and the slightly cumbersome way of making small adjustments with the sliding and locking mechanism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dickb wrote:

The later OM macro lenses (those with AUTO in their name, referring to their auto aperture function) have a helicoid built in, the earlier preset ones don't.

Correct, the 2 lenses i got do have a built-in helicoid for fine focus adjustment. The 135 also has an infinity setting on the tube, you could do portraitwork with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using the 80mm 1:1 combination on the 5D.... not an easy one to focus!! The viewfinder of the Canon gets really dark, this should be way easier on a NEX system with live view. Unfortunately i do not have an OM-NEX adapter.

However, it is a good performer. See following shots, RAW to JPG conversions in LR without PP, f/8, handheld. Second picture is a crop of the first.

Raspberry macro (Olympus 4/80) by René Maly, on Flickr

Crop of "Raspberry macro" by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good ones, I do own this set, too.
Mainly use them for digitalising film, but shot a video with one some times ago.

Pass by, if you are to sensitive to watch it, contains sexuell affairs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjSuZGIHvqg