Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus 38mm f1.8 Pen-f - Pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Olympus 38mm f1.8 Pen-f - Pictures Reply with quote

Last week I ordered the 38mm f1.8 and the 100mm f3.5.
Today they have arrived. I had a little time to play with the 38mm.
First general thoughts ;
- small adapter
- small lens Smile
- well built
- cool lens cap logo !

First pictures seem very promesing. Contrast seems very good. So is center sharpness and bokeh.
I think, due to it's size and performance, it is a keeper and will be a lot on my cam Smile

Thx for all your advice !

Here some first pics.

rear mirror by G.Don, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It fits the X-E1 very nicely Very Happy
Congratz with your new lenses, you would probably keep them both as the 100mm is a hidden gem also Wink

First pictures looks very promising. The portrait of the girl is lovely...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the 38/1.8, its a great little lens, and mine is quite sharp, only the coatings let it down, as it flares more than I'd like.
I'd post pics, but I've only shot family get-togethers with it and I can't post family pics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I also have the 38/1.8, its a great little lens, and mine is quite sharp, only the coatings let it down, as it flares more than I'd like.
I'd post pics, but I've only shot family get-togethers with it and I can't post family pics.

Do you use it with a sunhood ? Would be great if you could post some pictures too Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice little lens. It was was favorite on my Nex-5N, sharper than the Flek 35/2.4 at every aperture setting, but when I switched to the X-E1 I couldn't have the same quality. I had terrible smearing in corners, even stopped down. Your pictures look much better than what I got from my lens on my Fuji. I wonder if it was my adapter... Anyway I sold it with regrets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
That's a nice little lens. It was was favorite on my Nex-5N, sharper than the Flek 35/2.4 at every aperture setting, but when I switched to the X-E1 I couldn't have the same quality. I had terrible smearing in corners, even stopped down. Your pictures look much better than what I got from my lens on my Fuji. I wonder if it was my adapter... Anyway I sold it with regrets.

That's strange, because the NEX and the Fuji share the same sensor size, aren't they ?
My adapter seems great. It clicks very tight and focus to infinity is just all the way down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billou wrote:
That's a nice little lens. It was was favorite on my Nex-5N, sharper than the Flek 35/2.4 at every aperture setting, but when I switched to the X-E1 I couldn't have the same quality. I had terrible smearing in corners, even stopped down.

I would attribute that to what others have named, this lens quirkiness. When I first used it with my Olympus Epl1 in bad light in winter, I thought it faulty as it gave me smeared corners and objectionable out of focus areas. When I tested it in summer in good light I got good pictures. And when I tested it with the Epl5 I got another surprise, sometimes wonderful pictures. You have to be careful as it is not multicoated. So it does not surprise me that one can get different results with different sensors. It is not all about sensor size either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

Do you use it with a sunhood ? Would be great if you could post some pictures too Smile

That reminds me, I need a hood, well a few hoods for different lenses.
I'll have to take it for a spin when I can get away from work, and I'll post some shots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this lens is one of the rare lenses that gives me a 3d (pop) effect on my fuji X-E1. I will post later some of these.

Here one of today which also has a bit of 3d effect, no ?
Note : Please click on it twice to see it full screen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a picture of a butterfly to show sharpness on f5.6 at Min. Focus Distance.
This lens can go pretty close Smile
What do you think of the sharpness ?

Full Image

Cropped image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Farmer's Dog by G.Don, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really detest when people here keep posts with dead flickr links with unavailable images.
What is that: layziness, I don't care mentality....??

Not here on mflenses, please. We want a high quality forum....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus. Having a bad day?
I don't see any dead flickr images. Please tell me which one you don't see.
If I do anything wrong please tell me, so I can change the way I post.
Good evening.
Gert Wink