Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Old Vivitar 28mm f2.8, How bad is it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Old Vivitar 28mm f2.8, How bad is it? Reply with quote

I recently purchased this lens for my Vivitar collection. I haven't received it yet.

I have a Tokina made 135mm f2.8 from this series that is a really great lens, but this 28mm seems to have
a bad reputation. How bad is it? Looks like a T4 mount, but not 100% sure. Also, does anyone know how old this lens is?
Thanks in advance for any information...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar one but 24mm , it takes pictures ... don't expect much , but I am sure not bad also.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_24/

I guess more less same than all cheap 28mm , Tamron , Pentacon etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it out - I wouldn't say it's bad just by looking at it, it will likely do some things well and some things not so well, and it may be a good sample or a poor one.

Yes, it's a TX or t4, you can tell by the goiter by the mount, and the f/stops running in two directions Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the T4 version. All T4s had metal focus grips. All TXs had rubber grips.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say T4...doesn't the TX have it marked as a TX under the mount?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but a rubber focus grip TX. I imagine it is the exact same lens formula. I like mine and use it quite regularly. Pretty good contrast and sharpness. Not a world beater but still a little above average to me.

That is one of the early T4's and probably made around 1970 by the serial number on the front bezel.