Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

odd Samyang 85mm f/1.4 issue (flare??)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: odd Samyang 85mm f/1.4 issue (flare??) Reply with quote

I've run into a strange issue with my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 when focusing at closer distances (most evident between 1m and 2m focus distance).

Regardless of lighting situation, there appears to be a strange 'flare' near the middle of the image, more evident at smaller apertures. Here are some examples:

Near f/22

Near f/16

Near f/11

Near f/8

Against the sky at f/22

Against a building at f/22

Computer monitor

Is this typical for this lens? At longer focus distances the problem appears to still exist, but isn't nearly as evident, in some cases vanishing completely. Is this just typical flare?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that I would rule out is if you are using any kind of filter such as a UV filter.
I read a post a while back where the original poster thought he had photographed a UFO. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor reflection, have a look here http://thesybersite.com/minolta/sensor-reflection/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
Sensor reflection, have a look here http://thesybersite.com/minolta/sensor-reflection/

Amazing how quickly one can find an answer. I'm not using a UV filter, so this seems like the case. After investigating online, it seems as though nobody else has mentioned this issue with this lens though, is it possible that my copy could be defective, or is it something that might not be noticeable under the vast majority of circumstances?

To be clear, I find the lens perfectly useable, and actually love it, but am wondering whether this copy is actually defective, I've had it about a week now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same effect as the dreaded "white aperture spot" with some Minolta macros?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the effect I had with the Tamron SP 90/2.5 when stopped down.

As for the Samyang, I suspect it's not been noticed before as 99% of shooters appear to use it wide open only Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Is that the same effect as the dreaded "white aperture spot" with some Minolta macros?

I believe so.
Modern lenses have the rear elements coated to try and stop this reflection, perhaps the coating on yours isn't up to standard, can you get hold of another to try and re-create the effect, I take it your Samyang is not chipped.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have a faulty copy, it's problem of the lens design and the coating.
I also have the same issue with Carl Zeiss Planar 35/2 T* already very strong from f/2.8 onwards when I'm pointing at my computer display.
I guess many lenses that and noone cares because luckily it's usually not field relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot all, as I've said, I'm incredibly happy with the lens, this issue isn't really relevant for me, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad copy if it could be avoided. Having a lot of fun with it so far, has definitely expanded the range of what I choose to shoot.