Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon E 2.5/35 and the Wall of Shame
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Nikon E 2.5/35 and the Wall of Shame Reply with quote

Ken Rockwell says that people who take pictures of walls and examine the pictures in detail should be ashamed of themselves. Well - I didn't intend this as a pixel peeping exercise but I wonder what you think.

The wall, D60, lens at f/8 (I think), RAW capture, square crop and moderate PP - fullsize ~2500x2500 reduced to ~600x600

100% crop of 3x enlargement

Bjorn Rorslett (sorry, I don't know how to access the correct alphabet) says that this lens exhibits negligible CA. What do you think ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty blind about lens problems usually. I think this is fine to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something must be wrong with your lens or camera.

Here is a 100% crop at F2.5

And that is through a 3 layer window.

Looks ok by me.
Most of the E-series are better than people thinks.

/Jan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The birds are out of focus, which increases the CA risk and they create a sharp backlit edge against a pure white sky, which is just perfect for CA. You've then taken the problem area and enlarged it three times, if I follow your comment, so this is what you would see enlarging the image to 30MP and viewing at 72dpi. Also, the birds are off centre so it is possible that your sensor is adding to the problems.

In short, this is the most extreme set of conditions possible so it is hardly surprising you can see some problems. If I shrink that crop to one third of its size and then switch from 72 to 300 dpi the problem is invisible. If I misunderstood you and you have not enlarged it 300% than looking at the same crop viewed at 300dpi does show a little fringing when viewed close up, but would you look at a 16 inch x 10 inch print that closely?

For ordinary purposes the lens is probably fine. Try shooting the wall again with sharp focus on the pigeons and see what that does to the CA, I bet most of it will disappear.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a lens without some aberration, so the assessment "negligible CA" should not be taken to mean none at all. Just not enough to matter in the real world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon E 2.5/35 and the Wall of Shame Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

100% crop of 3x enlargement

Bjorn Rorslett (sorry, I don't know how to access the correct alphabet) says that this lens exhibits negligible CA. What do you think ?

Bjørn Rørslett (you could copy and paste from that Cool ) is correct. That's not CA. Its the remains of the blown-out sky, which retains some cyan colouring close to the edges of the building.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is CA, Chris. Look how one side of the top pigeon is blue and the other side reddish because the wavelengths of light are refracting differently. If it was the "remains of the sky" it would be evenly distributed all round the pigeon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally shoot RAW+JPEG. However on the bottom end cameras (D40x/D60) this only permits a "basic" JPEG where artefacts are often seen clearly. In the picture shown here the coloured fringing was clearly seen in the JPEG. I had to "work" a little (i.e. enlargement and then cropping as described) to reveal it in RAW. I was just wondering what others felt about this level of fringing. Many thanks for all your comments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John
You just described another very good reason for shooting raw. Smile Smile
I think that even if that is CA, given the cost of the lens the performance is remarkable. Personally I only really like the 100/2.8 E from nikon, but the whole series is great value.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
It is CA, Chris. Look how one side of the top pigeon is blue and the other side reddish because the wavelengths of light are refracting differently. If it was the "remains of the sky" it would be evenly distributed all round the pigeon.

Actually yes, you are right.

I had recently been working on some photos with blown-out sky and areas of reduced intensity (eg sky through branches) showed this effect under hilight recovery. I thought this was the same.

But yes, there is a thin reddish line on the right side of one pigeon. Its CA.

John, the "3x" confused me, is this 100%, or 300%, or ? and what does moderate PP mean? Was the image processed in NX2 or another program?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick - thanks for your comments. I know there are better 35s but I'm wondering if this one is "good enough" for the moment at least. I'd rather like to stop buying (and selling !) for a few months and just spend the spring and summer taking pictures. There are a couple of 2/35s which I have my eye on. If I get one fine - if not I will stay with the 35 E for s few months.

Chris - sorry for the confusion. For a long time I was confused even by the term "100% crop" - different people use it in different ways - so I hesitate to use the term 300%. In the sample each linear dimension has been increased by a factor of 3. I don't know if that's 300% or 900%.