Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D700 with Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ai-s IF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Nikon D700 with Micro-Nikkor 200/4 Ai-s IF Reply with quote

This is a very nice handling lens with genuine, one-finger focusing and a nice, long working distance in front of the lens (nearly 1/2 meter at 1:2). It also has an excellent, removable tripod collar. I'm sure there are 'better' lenses for close-up work, but I really enjoy using this one. Both following images were handheld.

First image is an amaryllis flower shot at f/16. This is uncropped and as-taken from the camera.

The second image was an iris* shot quite close at f/5.6. While not known for great bokeh, the Micro 200 does quite well. f/5.6 was a compromise: too much iris out of focus at f/4; background too focused at f/8.

* As was noted, I called this a 'lily' when it is, in fact, an iris. Thanks for the correction! I really do know better and am quite happy to set the record straight.

Last edited by Arninetyes on Wed May 11, 2011 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos !

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine shots with a great lens. (BTW #2 is an iris ) Rolling Eyes

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Fine shots with a great lens. (BTW #2 is an iris ) Rolling Eyes

patrickh

Thanks! It's one of my favorites to use.

As for the iris, you are so correct. Don't know why I labeled it a lily! Oh, well.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots, I very much like #2

Rgds,
Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughaag wrote:
Beautiful shots, I very much like #2

Rgds,
Dave

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens and great pictures! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very decent lens. Could we see a pic of it?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a bunch of macro lenses including the 200/4 nikkor

Nikkor 55/3.5 + M, 55/2.8 + M, Vivitar Ser1 105/2.5, Vivitar Ser1 90/2.5, Tamron SP 90/2.5, Nikkor 200/4

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, patrich! And I thought I had quite a few macro lenses. Nice collection!

Alas, my collection of macro lenses numbers only four--and two of those are *gasp!* autofocus--both autofocus were originally purchased for work (Micro-Nikkor AF 60/2.8D, and a Tokina AT-X Pro 100/2.8--the 60/2.8D is very good, but the Tokina is a gem).

I also have a Micro 55/3.5 (+M), but it's a bit older than yours, a compensating aperture model that is in almost new condition. I picked it up for $45 about 6 months ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice macro collection... I only have 2, nikkor 55/2.8 and EL 80/5.6, if you can call it macro

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After adding a CPU to my Micro 200/4 Ais, I put it on the D40. I had just turned on the D40 to make sure everything functioned properly, when this little scrub jay landed on a table outside. I managed to get focused on it and snap one shot. Then it was gone. Clearly, the matrix metering with the new CPU worked pretty well (despite the bright reflective metal on the right and the deep shadow behind) giving me a nicely backlit jay as it spread its wings to take flight. I cropped it to about half the picture area before reducing it to 1024px width for posting.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's quite a gang you have there patrick, I see many legendary lenses on the same table Shocked

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ashamed to say I also have the Sigma 105/2.8 macro and the nikkor 60/2.8 - both AF lenses, but only used in manual for macro. This is not counting all the enlarging lenses I use by choice now for macro - most of the el-nikkors from 50/2.8 to 135/5.6, Componon-S from 80/4 to 150/5.6 and the rodagons from 50/2.8 to 150/5.6. I really love the behaviour of the enlarging lenses, they are so accurate. Embarassed Embarassed

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
That's quite a gang you have there patrick, I see many legendary lenses on the same table Shocked

+1

200mm f4 is a very use full walk around lens in Zoo , closest distance start from 70 cm.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive shots. The only macro I have is the humble 55/3.5. I love it though.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
Impressive shots. The only macro I have is the humble 55/3.5. I love it though.

I don't really see the 55/3.5 as humble. It's a great lens, and you can use it to take excellent close-up and macro shots. To me, its only flaw is that you have to be very close to the subject. For shy subjects such as butterflies, or aggressive ones that sting, more working distance is a good thing.

Several months ago, I picked up a mint Micro 55/3.5 with M ring very cheap. I also have a Micro AF 60/2.8D. The 60 really is an excellent lens. However, since I never use AF for close-up anyway, I've decided to sell the AF micro and replace it with the 55/3.5. It will do anything the 60 will do (and the manual focus is much nicer and easier to use). Besides, I can get enough money back from the 60 to buy another lens or three.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the comments about the nikkor. Frankly I would hate to choose between the 55/3.5, 55/2.8 and 60/2.8 from nikon - they are all excellent performers. I am always amazed at the absurd price difference between them on fleabay, given how similar they are.

patrickh