Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D50 any good?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Nikon D50 any good? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm new here. I currently have a Canon 350d using old Nikkor lenses with adapters & it works great. By chance I recently purchased a VERY cheap Nikon D50. Has anyone used one of these & what do they think of them? I haven't had a chance to give it a good try yet but early indications are very positive. I love the focus confirmation light. I can live without metering which the Canon gives me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon D50 was my first digital SLR I did love it. Take it without hesitation it works with AI and AIS lenses. With non-AI lenses you can't change aperture if lens is already mounted, need to disconnect first set aperture ring and mount again. This is only the negative what I know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And good for Infrared photography.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
And good for Infrared photography.

No IR filter in ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has an IR filter but it's quite a weak one. There's only 3 stops of light loss so you can hand hold. Screw an IR filter to the lens and use a hotshoe view finder and you're away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D50 is a great camera! Very light and the ability to use the old Nikkors is a huge plus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camera also has a surprising good / low noise characteristics at high ISO!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It has an IR filter but it's quite a weak one. There's only 3 stops of light loss so you can hand hold. Screw an IR filter to the lens and use a hotshoe view finder and you're away.

This is an excellent news! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after using this camera for a couple of months, I find that the ergonomics are great & it seems to be well suited to using old lenses & shooting in manual mode. I dont even miss the lightmeter. I have been using the "sunny 16" rule & have had almost perfect exposures first go with just about every shot. Sadly, I have not used my 350d since. I just really enjoy this camera so much more. I found that with the 350d, the auto exposure was not always correct anyway so I figure no great loss. The big difference is that all my shots are in perfect focus now due to the built in rangefinder which works with every lens I own from 20mm to 300mm. My eyesight is not the greatest & the focus confirmation is a godsend. I took some night shots with a 30 second exposre at ISO 200 & the results were unbelievable. Almost no noise & not noticable at all on 12x16" prints hanging on my wall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey AussieBob...you have to post a few here for us to see Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite probably the best 6MP Nikon - better than the original D2 in image quality. Being the last it got the least noisy and highest dynamics sensor...

For MF lenses, it is noteworthy that while it can attach anything AI and up (and has a focus motor so that it will will focus every AF lens except for the two or three for the F3AF), it has no tab coupling and will only meter with chipped lenses. But "shoot by histogram" works fine in less dynamic situations, and so would a handheld meter. If you are shooting sports or children, a D70 might be more reasonable - one sensor generation older, but metering with all AI lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieBob wrote:
I took some night shots with a 30 second exposre at ISO 200 & the results were unbelievable. Almost no noise & not noticable at all on 12x16" prints hanging on my wall

I know! I find that the D50 has better noise at long night exposure than my D300!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reoport on D50:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50A17.HTM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an example of a 30 second second exposre with a Nikkor 28mm f3.5 set at around f8. Noise is barely noticable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they not meter old lenses? I'm tempted to pick one up for IR work and to play with the old Nikkors, but if they cannot meter, this is a disadvantage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With digital you can always waste a shot or two to make the camera its own meter...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a shot I took at the same place on a different night (cloudy) with a Canon 350D & 18-55mm kit lens as comparison for noise. Same 30 second exposure time, what do you think?