Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 80-200mm f4.5 AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Nikon 80-200mm f4.5 AI Reply with quote

Got this lens for 57€ from the bay. Body looks good, optics are fungi and scratch free so overall looks very good. I still need to test it though.

What bothers me is loose zoom. Loose badly! Almost dancing all around Laughing

Is there anyway to fix it? Or should I just get used to it?

Thank You

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these zooms. It is very common for the zoom collar to be loose, in fact the 80-200mm f/4.5 is well known for having a loose zoom collar. Mine does. I bought it about 20 years ago and I just don't worry about it. It is possible to have the collar tightened up so it doesn't slip so much, but I've just never felt the need.

It's a great zoom, one of Nikon's best. If it's in nice cosmetic condition, free of fungus, etc., then I'd say that 57 euros is a good price.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens is great even with the loose zoom... try it with nikon PK13 Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these also. Very nice lens. It's very sharp, especially for a zoom of its vintage. Contrast is pretty good, but not up to primes of the day.

The loose zoom ring is not a problem unless you use a tripod and aim the camera other than level. Since you have to keep your hand on it anyway to focus, in operation, it really does become a non-issue.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arninetyes wrote:

The loose zoom ring is not a problem unless you use a tripod and aim the camera other than level. Since you have to keep your hand on it anyway to focus, in operation, it really does become a non-issue.

Or if you really do need to do hands-free photography, use a wide rubber band that can bridge the collar and the tube, or a piece of tape. Works for me. Razz

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys. Well I tried it hand-held yesterday and it's not that bad.

@Roman- do You have some samples with PK 13?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 75-150 with a zoom ring that is even looser. I "tightened" it up by putting a piece of embossing tape just under the ring--it adds just enough friction to make using it a bit more pleasant.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastazeko wrote:
Thx guys. Well I tried it hand-held yesterday and it's not that bad.

@Roman- do You have some samples with PK 13?

here you go...
first @ f5.6 second and third @ f8

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Roman. Nice samples.

Haven't tried macro yet. Are these handheld shots or do you need tripod when working with extension tubes?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

handheld... I've had lots of light Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or, a tripod with less than lots-of-light! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice!