Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIkon 50mm 1.4 Ai lens front name ring stuck
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: NIkon 50mm 1.4 Ai lens front name ring stuck Reply with quote

Hi

I been reading this forum for a while. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.4 AI manual lens. It has fungus inside the lens.

I need to take it apart and clean. from everything I read. I need to unscrew the front name ring,
But I have try rubber glove, duct tape. It seems to be stuck.

is there any other trick to get the name ring off and get access to the lens for dismantle and cleaning?

thanks in advance
David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edited)

You wont notice the screws you have to remove unless you have turned the focusing ring to minimum focusing distance, so that lens assembly is fully extended. Once you removed the tiny screws the name ring is unscrewed by turning it counter-clockwise. It's been a while since I lubed three dried out Nikkor 50mm lenses I bargain-hunted, but I recall it was easy to accomplish and I to the best of my knowledge they share very similar construction of barrel and helicoid.

If it is stuck it is usually because the barrel or filter ring is slightly dented from impact. Those metal Ai/Ai-S lenses can take impact damage and focusing helicoid still works, so user does not notice lens has damage.

You can also find lens-specific repair manuals on eBay for 5-10 dollars, if you need more specific help. I don't have how-to-do-it photos, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying. I finally manage to get past the filter ring and mange to get the complete
lens assembly out. I just got to figure out out to get at the lens at the back .

its the lens that is sitting just below the aperture blade that has the fungus.

I think its time to buy a lens spanner. as it has two small notchs. nothing else to grip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidw wrote:
I think its time to buy a lens spanner.

For someone disassembling (and assembling!) a lens, the only thing more indispensable than the lens-specific repair manual is indeed a lens spanner.