Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 500mm F8 N Reflex-NIKKOR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Nikon 500mm F8 N Reflex-NIKKOR Reply with quote

After I tired the Sigma 600 and Yashica 500 mirror, I get this from a well care lens from a photographer. This is the very last mirror lens from Nikon with close focus ability. It is slightly bigger than the Tamron 500mm mirror but it is still compact when compare to the two mirror lens mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty wow lens I think, look forward your image samples too, congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handle test shows this lens is sharp and have good contrast as my sold Rubinar 4.5/300(which used to finance this lens). A tripod is needed to test this lens but I am always lazy to carry mine. Will do later in this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror and in some situations I used it hand-held. But most of the time, I would attach a monopod when I shot with the Sigma. I found that the monopod gave me the stability I needed for daylight shooting, and yet it remained a very portable setup, not being inconvenient at all to use. My monopod is an old Gitzo with a small, but very sturdy Stroboframe ball head.

Here's a pic I took back in the late 1980s using the Sigma 600 with a Bogen tripod and ball head. The Bogen is not as compact as the Gitzo, but is still very sturdy. I still own it and use it.

Canon F-1, Sigma 600mm f/8, Fujichrome 100, 1/250th second @ f/8.

And here's a 100% enlargement of the area of focus. As you can see, there are absolutely no signs of camera shake. At 1/250 second, hand-holding that 600mm lens wouldn't have been possible. But trying to shoot race cars with a tripod is way too cumbersome of a setup.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the leg of my tripod can be take away to become a monopod but I am afraid I will break it. Most of the time I only carry a small message style camera bad which has not space for a ordinary monopod. May be I will buy a dedicated monopod later if I will have more tele lens.

The sigma lens is OK on my 5N but it seems much better on film.