Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 10mm Fisheye EX on a Canon 7D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Nikon 10mm Fisheye EX on a Canon 7D Reply with quote

Ok, I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so admin, feel free to move it.

Here is my issue:

I was given a VERY nice Nikon DX 10mm 2.8 fisheye lens and I want to put it on my Canon 7D viaa a EOS to Nikon adapter that I have used on all my Manual Nikon lenses. This is the FIRST time I am trying an auto lens.

The issue is that when you unmount the Nikon DX lenses, they seam to stop all the way down. I even tried throwing it on a nikon and setting it to 2.8, but when I take it off, I see BLADES!!!

Does ANYONE know a hack that I can apply to this lens to open it WIDE OPEN and KEEP IT WIDE OPEN. I see there is a mechanism on the back that when I push it, it opens the lens wide open. Should I jam that thing open so I can enjoy this fine glass on my Canon?

Any thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon 10mm Fisheye EX on a Canon 7D Reply with quote

All new Nikon lenses (and all DX lenses) are G lenses. The 'G' stands for 'gelded', these lenses do not have aperture rings.

What you need is either A.) The expensive Novoflex adapter with built-in aperture control for G lenses or B.) A Nikon body.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! I actually sprung for the 269.00 Novoflex adapter, but didnt have enough DX glass to justify ( plus had no knowledge of that adapter ) to spring for that model of the adapter.

SOOOOO I guess my question back to that little lever on the back of the lens, if its pushed down, the lens opens WIDE open. What do you think I should do ? Pin it down and hope for the best?

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor lenses with aperture ring on body use the standard Nikon lens to Canon body adapter. For use on a Canon body, the newer G-series Nikkor lenses (which you can identify from the fact that they have no aperture ring) require an adapter which allows you to control the aperture via a lever. The Novoflex one is recommended, I have lots of colleagues who use the Nikkor 14-24/2.8G on their Canon bodies and they are very satisfied with adapter and results.

You either shoot only wide open or buy the correct adapter. Either way, I recommend you read this so that you can see how you should expect the results to be before RAW to JPEG conversion: Nikkor 10.5/2.8G DX Fisheye tested on Nikon crop sensor

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/207-nikkor-af-105mm-f28g-ed-dx-fisheye-review--test-report

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very helpful brother! thanks a lot!

I actually just forced it with a small piece of wood to like a 3.5 and mounted it on my 7D. Fairly legit. I am going to try the 5D tomorrow , I am too tired to break it out tonight, but I assume the 5D will look like crap since its a lens designed for crop bodies!

Thanks again everyone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G DX Fisheye will look, when shot on a full-frame DSLR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark6mauno/2152745793/

As you can see from the image, this lens is designed to cover a smaller area sensor.