Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5 in Leica mount, on the M Monochrom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5 in Leica mount, on the M Monochrom Reply with quote

I've wanted one of these for over 20 years, ever since reading "How the West was Won" in Popular Photography, the story about how David Douglas Duncan used Nikkor lenses to cover the Korean War. Only 300 or so of these were made in Leica mount, maybe another 400 or so in S-Mount.

Wide-Open on the M Monochrom at the Korean War Diarama at the Marine Museum in Quantico, Virginia. David Douglas Duncan is featured prominently in this section of the museum.

This lens is based on he pre-war 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, but is made to the Leica standard. Performance is equal to a pre-war Sonnar.

The wartime Sonnar is an improved formula, and features better edge-to-edge performance.

I did some background reading on this lens, and tested it against the Wartime Sonnar shown here. The Link to the article is below:

http://www.leicaplace.com/f2/nikkor-sc-5cm-f1-5-lens-brought-attention-japanese-camera-industry-185/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen either lens or camera before , many thanks !!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice lens, I look forward to seeing more from it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they say this is the lens that put japan and nikon on the professional level map. if you have a chance, i think we'd love to see how it performs in other situations. thanks for the post.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked

A true classic gem on a modern gem!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, all.

I will be uploading some more pictures with the Nikkor, shot with the M9. This lens equals my pre-war 5cm F1.5 Sonnars. I also need to compare it with the Canon 50/1.5 and Simlar 5cm F1.5. My Japanese super-speed collection.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding the Canon and Simlar will make a fascinating comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an amazing collection of fast rangefinder 50s!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simlar is different for other double Gauss designs, with a 1-3-2-1 configuration. I believe the Canon 85/1.5 is the same block diagram, I need to double check Neblette.