Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 85mm F2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Nikkor 85mm F2 Reply with quote

How good is the Nikkor 85 mm F2 lens? I have checked the pictures in gallery and they look fine, does anybody has more pictures with this lens?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 85mm F2 Reply with quote

Milanos wrote:
How good is the Nikkor 85 mm F2 lens? I have checked the pictures in gallery and they look fine, does anybody has more pictures with this lens?

Thanks

Nice lens ! Especially for it's price.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Attila, I hope I will get one soon from local second hand. Looking forward. But still if anybody has few pictures with this lens, just make me happy. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how is it compares to Nikkor 1.8/85 and Nikkor 1.4/85? Does anybody has experience with theese lens?

Today I compared my old 1.4/50 Nikkor-s Auto PreAI lens to a late 1.4/50 Nikkor AI. My old lens is significanly better than the newer one! More sharp, less CA. The newer is only sharper at wide open a little bit, can only see in 100% size, but unusable for its CA.
So my old copy is better then the newer AI, I would have never thought it.

So please send only real experiences, not: "Ohh the best is 1.4/85" (Because it is the most expensive...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2 and the 1.8. Personally I think I prefer the f2, but it is a very difficult choice. And from what I have seen and read the 1.4 is the best of the three, but marginally. It is also very much more expensive of course. Frankly I have long regarded the nikkor 85/2 AIS as one of the best values in the market, they can be picked up for very reasonable amounts. OOF rendition, colour, contrast, sharpness - all very very good.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 85mm f1.8 and F2 they don't have much difference if you use them for human portraits (for portraits don't need sharpest lens at wide open!)

Black 85mm f1.8 is significantly sharper at wide open than 85mm f2.
Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8 more less same than F2 or between them. I never had 85mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For practical information about Nikon lenses, besides the wellknown Roslett-pages:
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

David Ruether's subjective lense evaluations is always worth a visit:

http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/slmn.html

He says about the 85mm Nikkors:

Quote:
85mm f2 4.8 (several samples) performance declines considerably at wide stops near minimum focus (both conditions together), otherwise this lens is excellent even wide open

85mm f1.8 non-AI 4.8 (2) very good wide open, excellent stopped down slightly; flares easily with backlight in non-multicoated samples

85mm f1.4 4.8 (4) good wide open, floating element maintains good performance down to minimum focus distance, doesn't have quite the "snap" of the other Nikkor 85's tried

The figures after the lense-name indicates, how high he rates it:
4 -- good to excellent image quality at most normally used stops,
a professional-level lens, but with some limitations (this level,
with many fractional gradations, includes most Nikkors)
5 -- excellent image quality at all stops, with only minor limitations

I only have the 85mm 1.8 K-type-lense, which more often than not, is AI'd.
I find it marvellous, and it is much cheaper and lighter than the 85mm/1.4 when you travel. As far as I know Steve McCurry's travel-bag used to include a 35mm/2 and a 85mm/1.8 (the AF-versions).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm very interesting reading indeed. I will grab the lens definetely and see what I´m able to do with it. And of course please keep on posting Your experiences with this lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sample from my Ai version. I have not used it enough to give a review, but it seems to be a solid performer disregarding the purple fringing.

Crop - Plenty sharp.

Purple horror...

/Jan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

i've got the Nikkor 85/2.0 S/N 194xxx borrowed and i'm testing it on sunny days. Smile At F2 mine is very soft and purple. But at 5.6 it's a dream. Metering isn't easy, because from 5.6 ist jumps to 8 and then to 11 with big failure metering.

Both pictures taken with a 40D in 'Standard' picture style without color etc. adjustment. Just the whole picture and a 100% crop. Resized bicubic. Smile

85/2 @ 2.0

85/2 @ 5.6

Greetings,
bluecove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluecove wrote:
Hi Everybody,

i've got the Nikkor 85/2.0 S/N 194xxx borrowed and i'm testing it on sunny days. Smile At F2 mine is very soft and purple. But at 5.6 it's a dream. Metering isn't easy, because from 5.6 ist jumps to 8 and then to 11 with big failure metering.

Both pictures taken with a 40D in 'Standard' picture style without color etc. adjustment. Just the whole picture and a 100% crop. Resized bicubic. Smile

85/2 @ 2.0

85/2 @ 5.6

Greetings,
bluecove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

At F2 a nice portrait lens don't need to be tack sharp at F5.6 very sharp as sample shows! I think these are nice features.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Nikkor 85/2 a Sonnar in disguise?