Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 43 - 86
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Nikkor 43 - 86 Reply with quote

this lens is regarded as one of the bad lenses in the Nikon range
i have quite different opinion and like how it shows the light, shortly before the next strong rain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about its reputation. But, that is a very persuasive series. Nice shooting

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the lens, my father had it and I used it on film ages ago, but I like how you are playing with light in shots #1 and #3.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I like how you are playing with light in shots #1 and #3.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's reputation came from the first version of the lens but it was
markedly improved in later versions. Or, at least that is what I remember
reading somewhere -- perhaps in Moose Peterson's Nikon book?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 43 - 86 Reply with quote

der einrahmer wrote:
this lens is regarded as one of the bad lenses in the Nikon range

The earlier one is indeed perhaps the worst Nikkor SLR lens ever, but in Bjørn Rørslett's blog, he mentions this of the later, redesigned version:

"...beautifully built 43-86 mm zoom lens...image quality admittedly was poor...However, many people are unaware that Nikon replaced the first 9-element version with a markedly improved new 11-element design in 1976. The last optical version had serial numbers starting at 774 071....shouldn't be used for architectural photography. Moreover, its bokeh..in fact...is terrible! Easily the worst of all Nikkors in this aspect."

Caveat emptor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I bought both versions of this lens (cost me $12-15 each). The later version was indeed an improvement over the horrible old one; however, even the newer version wasn't up to the standards of later Nikkors such as the 35-70/3.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The improvement was from classically, irredeemably terrible to mediocre. It remains more of a curiosity, a car wreck at the side of the road passerbys cannot but stare at.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james wrote:
The improvement was from classically, irredeemably terrible to mediocre. It remains more of a curiosity, a car wreck at the side of the road passerbys cannot but stare at.

Remeber that on those days : the 1st version was the first compact/trans-standard lens (even if 43mm is only the perfect standard)
The image are ok but lacks of micro contrast/resolution .. there is a lot of glow on details (spherical aberation)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your comments - didn´t expect so much resonance on this lens ...
yes it is version no 2 , which i bought (€ 23.-) after reading Bjørns review, just for acting like James wrote it poetically.
I am positiv surpised and it is a lens which handles well for manual focussing.
It is like having a Buik, Ford or VW from the 70th - nothing special, but they did their jobs for a lot of people well, easy to understand and you feel somewhere familiar Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two copies (a late s/n one plus a very late s/n one...) both are brave performers - in accordance with my taste at least...
http://forum.mflenses.com/mf-glass-on-lumix-dmc-l1-t35827,start,30.html#1137807

Having no clue of how bad the early version was I never understood the reasons of the associated reputation.