Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 3.5/20 UD on Nikon D60 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Nikkor 3.5/20 UD on Nikon D60 ? Reply with quote

I've just bought a Nikkor 3.5/20 UD. It's a bit rough but the glass is sparkling and everything works. The ridge on the back seems to be longer than anything I've seen on a Nikkor before. I'm worried about it hitting the mirror on my D60. I've carried out a search and found pictures of the lens mounted on a D40, and pictures taken with the lens on a D60. However I thought it worth asking here before giving it a go. Does anyone have any experience ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK. I did some careful measurements before testing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should serve you well - look forward to samples

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick. Initial samples appear to be very sharp - even at f/4. Unfortunately infinity is at about 1 m. Adjustment appears to be straightforward however, and the seller has given me permission to have a go. If it doesn't work I can return it. I'd like to keep it because it has what appears to be the real Nikon Ai aperture ring.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp , beautiful lens ! Hopefully you will able to adjust and enjoy as well! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Thanks Patrick. Initial samples appear to be very sharp - even at f/4. Unfortunately infinity is at about 1 m. Adjustment appears to be straightforward however, and the seller has given me permission to have a go. If it doesn't work I can return it. I'd like to keep it because it has what appears to be the real Nikon Ai aperture ring.

You should not have any issues getting to infinity focus with this lens and the D60.

Has the lens been disassembled at some point and wrongly put together?

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Has the lens been disassebled at some point and wrongly put together?

I've no idea. I bought it on ebay and it arrived today. There are no marks on or near the front and rear elements. So it doesn't look as though the glass has been touched. As I understand it this was a pre-Ai model. However the aperture ring is Ai. So the mount must have been removed at some time. However there is a lot of dirt around the screws. So this must have been done some time ago. Also there is quite a lot of backlash on the focus ring. It feels as though the screws holding the guide rod(s) have become loose. I had a similar problem with the Mir 24N. In fact the whole lens reminds me of the Kiev 19 lenses - particularly the "recoil" as the aperture spring operates.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Has the lens been disassebled at some point and wrongly put together?

You were right. The front optical block had been removed and hadn't been screwed back in properly - it was maybe 0.5-0.7 mm too far forward.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
As I understand it this was a pre-Ai model. However the aperture ring is Ai. So the mount must have been removed at some time. However there is a lot of dirt around the screws. So this must have been done some time ago.

Yes, its a pre-AI design and yes, the aperture ring has been changed for an AI one.

sichko wrote:
Also there is quite a lot of backlash on the focus ring. It feels as though the screws holding the guide rod(s) have become loose. I had a similar problem with the Mir 24N. In fact the whole lens reminds me of the Kiev 19 lenses - particularly the "recoil" as the aperture spring operates.

I notice the aperture 'thud' on my Mir-24N too.