Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New to Manual Focus Lens. Need help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: New to Manual Focus Lens. Need help. Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm currently looking for manual focus lenses for my canon 600D (APS-C sensor).
Its most confusing to me with all the different mounts and I do note that adaptors are not cheap.
People say FD lenses require a glass element and that will affect the image quality.
I'm just looking at Nikon's F-mount or the M42 mount, which seem to be more popular.

Do you have any other mounts to recommend?

I'm now looking for 50mm, 135mm and telephoto zooms/ primes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know the answer to your question but what you need to find out is which lensmounts adapt to canon
EOS without any interference with the mirror AND which will focus to infinity after adapter without any glass
in the adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome !

You can use Nikon F, M42, Rollei QBM, Exakata, Olympus OM, Yashica/Contax, Tamron adaptall, Pentacon Six/Kiev 60 on your camera trouble free none of them require glass element like Canon FD.

Adapters are dirt cheap to Canon from above lists.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome !

You can use Nikon F, M42, Rollei QBM, Exakata, Olympus OM, Yashica/Contax, Tamron adaptall, Pentacon Six/Kiev 60 on your camera trouble free none of them require glass element like Canon FD.

And you can add Leica R to the list.
If you are just starting out, I'd stick to OM, Nikkor, M42, & C/Y till you get a handle on it all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the list mentioned by Lightshow, noting that these lenses have more reliable adapters from a greater number of sellers, and of these, the OM lenses have the better price:performance ratio.
That said, I treasure my C/Y Zeiss glass above all others and use it exclusively on my 5D. I keep the OM, M42 and Nikkors on native camera mounts (OM-1, Bessaflex + SL706, and FE respectively).

Happy hunting, and good shooting when you find what you want.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have a 450D and have recently bought a 7D, both of which work very well with my collection of M42 fit lenses. There are dozens for sale on eBay, you could also try charity shops. One of my favorite lenses is a Helios 58mm, bought for peanuts.

I would recommend a chipped adapter for your 600D, which will give you confirmation when focus has been achieved, they too can be bought off eBay quite cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Be aware that you may be on the first step of the road to Lens Buying Addiction (LBA)

+1 as above, look out for the old zenith bodies that came with the well respected "kit" Helios 44 M42 mount lens. If the only adapter you buy is a focus chipped M42 to EOS one you will find plenty of lenses to fit your digital body. Have fun, follow the recommendations on here and post some images!

/\/\

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for now I will stick to the nikkor lenses. Any recommendations? Question

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Welcome !

Is this true with full frame canon eos bodies too or does it only apply to crop eos bodies?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Pentax K mount hasn't been mentioned yet. The only problem is the lens will be rotated slighty.

The 600D has an APS-C cropped sensor and smaller mirror, so please ignore all the remarks made about mirror interference. This does not apply to your camera.

Canon EOS cameras, especially the APS-C ones, can mount the widest range of MF lenses of all the DSLRs without glass adapters. It's easier to list the lenses you CAN'T use:

Minolta MC/MD
Canon FD
Fujica AX
Some Mamiya M42 lenses have problems with the aperture dial
Rangefinder lenses

There will be more I'm not sure about.
Please everyone add them to this list if you know them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Welcome!

Pentax K mount hasn't been mentioned yet. The only problem is the lens will be rotated slighty.

They also require some modification with a small hacksaw. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group - wave goodbye to your savings. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Welcome to the group - wave goodbye to your savings. Laughing

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been a member of this site for two month yet and have already spent $300. You're next.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Welcome!

No, sorry, this isn't true. I use all my Pentax K mount lenses on my 400D. The modification is only needed for full frame cameras, which neither the OP or I have, so this off topic in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Welcome!

No, sorry, this isn't true. I use all my Pentax K mount lenses on my 400D. The modification is only needed for full frame cameras, which neither the OP or I have, so this off topic in this thread.

Well I have had two Pentax-k mount lenses and both had a lever protruding from the rear. When I went to mount them on my 7D the lever was clearly going to hit the inside of the camera, so I cut them off.
Maybe I was wrong and didn't need to do this but it certainly looked like I was about to damage the camera and I didn't feel like risking that..
I didn't just decide to cut the lever myself, I searched online for other people having the same problem and I found exactly that. The advice was to cut the lever, which I did (it was a cheap and rubbish lens).
This was over a year ago and I've avoided Pentax-k mount lenses ever since.
BTW how is it 'off-topic'? I'm discussing the topic which you started. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
peterqd wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Welcome!

Well I have had two Pentax-k mount lenses and both had a lever protruding from the rear. When I went to mount them on my 7D the lever was clearly going to hit the inside of the camera, so I cut them off.
Maybe I was wrong and didn't need to do this but it certainly looked like I was about to damage the camera and I didn't feel like risking that..
I didn't just decide to cut the lever myself, I searched online for other people having the same problem and I found exactly that. The advice was to cut the lever, which I did (it was a cheap and rubbish lens).
This was over a year ago and I've avoided Pentax-k mount lenses ever since.

I've had the same experience as Gary. I have a Canon EOS 10D and I can't mount my SMC Pentax-M 1.7/50 with adaptor as the lever fouls the inside of the camera body. I use this lens solely with my NEX as I don't want to modify my lens. I've never owned or used a Canon 400D but it obviously has a different layout to the 7D or the 10D. It would be interesting to know which other crop sensor Canons can and cannot accept Pentax K mount lenses without modification.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Edgar, it would be good to know which cameras can/can't use this mount. I don't have any Pentax-K lenses at the moment so I can't try them on my old 300D, but they sure won't fit the 7D without hitting the inside of the mount. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
peterqd wrote:
The modification is only needed for full frame cameras, which neither the OP or I have, so this off topic in this thread.

Very Happy The OP asked which lenses will fit his 600D. As far as my experience goes with the 400D, which is an older version of the same model, all my PK lenses work OK. But it's true I didn't know that about the 7D, thanks.

As for off topic, what I meant is that any mention of lenses needing modification to work on FF cameras is confusing to the OP and not an answer to his question.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember, from reading about adapters, that some EOS cameras have a "switch" at about 10 o'clock inside the mount. Could that be the problems with the 7D & 10D? BTW, now we are really OT!!! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I seem to remember, from reading about adapters, that some EOS cameras have a "switch" at about 10 o'clock inside the mount. Could that be the problems with the 7D & 10D? BTW, now we are really OT!!! Smile

Not with the 10D, Peter. Pentax K mount lenses are impossible to mount without modification, unless you use a short extension tube, but then you lose infinity focus of course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks so much for the help im getting a much clearer picture. Will settle for the Nikon F-mount and the M42 as its more popular and there is a bigger range Laughing