Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new emf to eos adapter with programmable chip
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: new emf to eos adapter with programmable chip Reply with quote

in general i use the c/y to eos adapter with emf af confirm chip.
it is a programmable chip.
these are the things that you can do with it:
1. Lens’ maximum aperture can be set on camera, ranging from F/1.1 to F/45
2. Lens’ focal length can be set on camera, ranging from 1mm to 65535mm
3. Focus micro-adjustment of the lens can be set on camera from 0-31 levels.
4. Setting data is stored in the chip on the ring when powered off.
5. The ring enables camera viewfinder focus confirmation light and confirmation sound.
6. Supports AV (Aperture Priority) and Manual Mode.
7. Exposure aperture data can be recorded in EXIF.

How to use it:

you can use it (the chip must be configured with the right parameters of the lens) with the lens in these modes:

MODE A:

1. Set the maximum aperture on lens
2. Set the desired aperture on camera
3. Focus and meter the object, when focus is achieved, lock exposure setting.
4. Set the lens aperture to the same desired aperture as the camera setting
5. Press shutter button and take the picture.

MODE B:
1. Set the maximum aperture on lens
2. Set the aperture value on camera to maximum lens aperture
3. Focus and meter the object, when focus is achieved, lock exposure setting.
4. Set the lens aperture AND the camera aperture setting to the desired aperture.
5. Press shutter button and take the picture

MODE C:
1. Set the aperture value on camera to the lens’ maximum aperture
2. Set the camera to AV mode
3. Set the desired aperture on lens
4. Focus and meter the object and take the picture.,
Exposure aperture data recorded in EXIF is the lens’ maximum aperture.

this is what i think about it:

MODE A: it is pratically less difficult to use
MODE B: it is pratically very difficult to use
MODE C: i don't understand the use of it (the exif of picture is important)
if this chip can store the exif in picture why i must use the mode c (without store the exif) ????

i would to use the chip in this mode (I can't do it because there are some light-meter problems):
1. Set the lens aperture AND the camera aperture setting to the desired aperture.
3. Press shutter button and take the picture

is it impossible to bluid a chip that can work in this mode ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

with contax carl zeiss planar t* 1.4/50 + eos 5d mark ii + c/y to eos with emf chip, I founded that the correct value for the focus micro adjustment is 24 (with the fine-tuning inside the camera -> 0)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the real goal of this adapter ?
Recording an exif which indicate the real aperture of the lens ?

Does it also permit to adjust back and front focus ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:

with this emf adapter, now the light-meter of canon works right with the lens that can be mounted on !

all problems of light-measurement that we can have with af-adapter (exif preset) are eliminated !
you can buy this adapter on ebay...
the seller is big_is

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson wrote:

Nelson wrote:
Yes

Nelson wrote:

Yes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://emfphoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=4.0

http://emfphoto.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Is is beta testing a new EMF chip which looks like it can be used on zooms (ability to adjust FL easily on the fly). Not sure how that might work, but if so, that will be very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

for the yashica ml 2.8/135mm i have found that the correct value for focus micro adjustment is 00 ... the default setting !
i think it is correct because when i take pictures of subject at infinity distance, the central af point illuminates itself !
all this for you !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:

all problems of light-measurement that we can have with af-adapter (exif preset) are eliminated !
the seller is big_is

Hm, this isn't true in my case... I just got this EMF adapter from Big_is: Click here to see on Ebay
and the metering problem is the same as before with a chipless adapter, perhaps even worse... (I tested it on a Pancolar 50/1.8; f1.8 gives correct exposure, everything stopped down is overexposed in aperture mode... I always shoot in Av mode and this problem persists to be my main issue with MF lenses. Mad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:

the seller is big_is

Hm, this isn't true in my case... I just got this EMF adapter from Big_is: Click here to see on Ebay
and the metering problem is the same as before with a chipless adapter, perhaps even worse... (I tested it on a Pancolar 50/1.8; f1.8 gives correct exposure, everything stopped down is overexposed in aperture mode... I always shoot in Av mode and this problem persists to be my main issue with MF lenses. Mad

I had this problem with my 350D. It seems that there is a problem when you use a full frame lens on a crop sensor.
At f2 and wider the lens sends much more light overlapping the crop sensor a lot giving overexposure . I had +1.5 exposure in my SMC Tak 1.4/50 open wide . On my 5Dii the problem is not present.
Some russians on a pentax forum have developed a plastic square hole adapter to overcome this problem on crop sensors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
symphonic wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:

the seller is big_is

I had this problem with my 350D. It seems that there is a problem when you use a full frame lens on a crop sensor.
At f2 and wider the lens sends much more light overlapping the crop sensor a lot giving overexposure . I had +1.5 exposure in my SMC Tak 1.4/50 open wide . On my 5Dii the problem is not present.
Some russians on a pentax forum have developed a plastic square hole adapter to overcome this problem on crop sensors.

+777 !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the clarification! Smile Transition to full frame camera is still far far away in my plans, so I'll have to make do with this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Sorry, I misread your response the first time. Now that I read it again, I notice you wrote you had overexposure problems at wide open aperture. I have just the exact opposite problem - wide open is the only aperture setting that gives correct exposure with no EC on my 450D. The problem is always when I stop down (evident at f8 and more a lot), it always overexposes. And it's the same with all my manual lenses.
Using exposure compensation is the only cure it seems, but it doesn't hit all the time, lenses differ with the amount of EC needed. I end up shooting at wide open 80% of time instead.

BTW. Here's another user going through similar problem, I haven't had the time to read the whole topic yet, but it seems the same problem of overexposing when stopped down.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange... I had the reverse problem with my 350D using simple non-EMF AF chip...

hmmmm

Did you correctly programmed your EMF chip at 50/1.7 and saved the settings??
The Default setting of the chip is 50/1.4

If so ....do you use it correctly?

1) I open the lens wide open at f1.7(using your Planar as an example)
2) I select the desired aperture on the camera (e.x @f4) using Aperture priority(Av)
3) I press halfway the shutter button and then lock the reading using AE lock
4) still pressing the AE lock I change the aperture to f4 on the lens.
5) I focus confirm again by pressing the shutter button halfway, still pressing the AE lock...
6) I Shoot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I don't believe this is correct. I have no exposure issues with my XS (1000D) and full frame EF lenses. With manual lenses, my exposure problems are identical to Symphonic's.

This has been discussed here before, although it was a while back now. It has to do with the way Canon DSLR meters work -- they require electronic feedback from the lens in addition to the light coming through to determine optimum exposure.

With mf lenses, I do as Symphonic does, and dial in the required amount of -EV. The amount can vary between lenses and will vary from f-stop to f-stop, so it's something I really have to watch out for.

Not too long ago, I had spotted a snowy egret close to my house, and got out my CPO 500mm f/5.6 and attached it to my XS. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the exposure, concentrating instead on focus and framing. The result was every single photo was over exposed, with no detail at all left in the bird's plumage. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

Did you correctly programmed your EMF chip at 50/1.7 and saved the settings??
The Default setting of the chip is 50/1.4

If so ....do you use it correctly?

1) I open the lens wide open at f1.7(using your Planar as an example)
2) I select the desired aperture on the camera (e.x @f4) using Aperture priority(Av)
3) I press halfway the shutter button and then lock the reading using AE lock
4) still pressing the AE lock I change the aperture to f4 on the lens.
5) I focus confirm again by pressing the shutter button halfway, still pressing the AE lock...
6) I Shoot

Umm... I selected the desired aperture in camera AND on the lens prior to metering, so that's where I was making a mistake... Embarassed
I will try again tomorrow in daylight, but I think you cleared the mystery - I was using the adapter the wrong way, silly me. Embarassed I obviously misread instructions from big_is in the ebay listing (his English is not very clear at certain places).

Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
metallaro1980 wrote:

the seller is big_is

1) you must set the maximum aperture of the lens in the adapter chip
2) you must set the focal length of the lens in the adapter chip
in order to have a correct exposure you must do the following steps:
first set the maximun aperture on the lens (1.8 for example)
a) do focusing on the subject
b) on the eos body you must select the desidered aperture with the black ring
c) lock the exposure with the lock-exposure button
d) set the aperture on lens to the same displayed on lcd
example: if you have choosen f8 with the black ring, you must set the aperture on lens to f8
remember!!! the lock-exposure button must be pushed while you set the aperture to the lens
and finally push the shutter release button

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchase 2 emf af adapters m42 eos from Roxsen.
I succeeded programming 1 of them perfectly, with the other one I made an error I only programmed max aperture 2.8, and wanted to do the other setting later (focal length, micro adjustement). Problem is the maximum aperture on the adapter is now set to 2.8, and I no longer can reach the larger values, ... but I need these to set the adapter correctly.
The only solution seems to be a "reset".
Does anyone know if it is possible ro reset the chip to default (factory) settings ?
I asked Roxsen. Reply: "I believe it is possible, don't know how".

Greetings,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostamill wrote:
I succeeded programming 1 of them perfectly, with the other one I made an error I only programmed max aperture 2.8, and wanted to do the other setting later (focal length, micro adjustement). Problem is the maximum aperture on the adapter is now set to 2.8, and I no longer can reach the larger values, ... but I need these to set the adapter correctly.
Does anyone know if it is possible ro reset the chip to default (factory) settings ?

Greetings,

Rob

Try to ask the maker of this chip http://emfphoto.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try to ask the maker of this chip http://emfphoto.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0.

I would love to, but it's impossible to register or login to the forum, and there is no email adress available for the firm.
The Chinese New Year doesn't help very much either: Big-IS (who seems to be working closely together with EMF Photo) is closed until Feb 6.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostamill wrote:

Greetings,

Rob

You can set each parameter (focal length, aperture) independently from each other.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can set each parameter (focal length, aperture) independently from each other

Unfortunately this is not so. I have set max aperture to f 2.8 and saved this setting.
When I go to programming mode again (f64, f57, f64) to set focal length, I first have to set the aprture to f 2.2 and press the shutter to be able to program focal lenght. I would love to do so, but, even in programming mode, I can no longer reach any aperture smaller than f 2.8. And there it ends. Don't know what to do next.

I was able to find an email adress for EMFPHOTO - BIG IS. Hopefully they can help (but they're closed until after the Chinese New Year).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just means that you're not back in programming mode Smile

I remind that to go into programming mode you have to:
- set Manual mode (M)
- set shutter speed to 1/60 second
- set aperture increment step to 1/3 EV (default setting, likely not changed)
- set aperture to 64 / press shutter
- set aperture to 57 / press shutter
- set aperture to 64 / press shutter
- set aperture to 1 (I guess this is just to confirm that f/1 is selectable again)

The first steps (manual mode and shutter speed) are part of the procedure and not optional Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved.

I took of the lens + adapter, mounted it again and was able to prgram the other settings.