Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Never exists camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Never exists camera Reply with quote

This is my 'new' made in 1949 KIEV with ZK Zorki 5cm f1.5 lens (jupiter-3) friend of mine call it 'never exists' camera due he is bougth and sold thousands Russian gears in past 10 yrs and he never seen any. Laughing

Last edited by Attila on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Attila!
Do you have a photo about the camera + lens itself?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will publish one soon , when I will less busy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that many people -including myself- are anxious to see this rare piece!...

E.L.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/zk-sonnar-5cm-f1-5-kiev-t50250.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the three volumes of Jason Schneider's Collecting Cameras books... wherein there is a picture and a paragraph on "chicken Kievs" - un-marked Contax copies made in East Germany, with the original Zeiss dies. So much is possible

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I just got the three volumes of Jason Schneider's Collecting Cameras books... wherein there is a picture and a paragraph on "chicken Kievs" - un-marked Contax copies made in East Germany, with the original Zeiss dies. So much is possible

He is wrong , factory was moved to Kiev , none of them made in East Germany. Contax made in Germany , before war and after war in Stuttgart, cameras from Stuttgart entirely different. 1949 50 ZK , KIEV rare even in Russia.

http://sovietcams.com/index.php?1702131232

PT2010 this is mine.

http://sovietcams.com/index.php?-927109500

I have two others from 1955-57 rare birds too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Attila is right, I read that they were originally going to call the Kiev 'Volga' after the river, and I expect the unmarked ones are the earliest production before this decision was finalised.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am haunted by a memory. I saw a 1955 Zorki for sale for less than $100. It had a 1950 sonnar on it. I didn't buy it, and it's gone. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

this Kiev is a very interesting and rare indeed camera, especially for its matching, excellent ZK 50/1,5 (the small missing screw to the winding knob is just nothing, and an easy to restore detail).

I think that the 1949 Kiev was entirely made at the Arsenal plant, under the direct control of the moved-to-east "volunteer" ex-Zeiss technicians.

Most probably, the greater part of the 1947 Kievs were made in Saalfeld, with the tools prepared for the Jena-Contax and ready german-made parts, while the Soviet personnel was being trained to work.

The "no-name Contax" is another story, well explained by Kuc in his fine work "Auf den Spuren der Contax" (vol. 2).

Again, I congratulate for this fine 'heir' of the rangefinder Contax-II!

All the best,

Enzo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for many valuable info!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is some handsome kit ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fabulous congratulations !

I would love it , my pair are just a CLA 1951 and lovely 1952 .

I also have a ' Kontax ' II made by the ex-Arsenal techs - box of Contax parts with Kiev II shutter made from new old stock parts .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are interesting pieces too anything before 1955 pretty rare. I try to get now an 1952 KIEV II locally.