Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need your suggestions...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: need your suggestions... Reply with quote

I'll probably , in the near future, get a chance to do a promo book of a local dance group, so i will need to make portraits of the members , both close up and whole body, and also group photos...

so i started thinking what lenses ,apart of my af 12-60mm lens, would i use...
so far i ,more or less, decided to use nikkor 20mm/4 , pancolar 50mm/1.8 and tokina at-x 35-70mm/2.8... (it will be an indoor shoot)

can you suggest me to use , any other lens from the lenses that i own (you can see them all in my signature)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion:

When photographing full height standing figure, get on your knees, otherwise the foreshortening effect would make their heads too big, feet too small and legs too short.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Just a suggestion:

When photographing full height standing figure, get on your knees, otherwise the foreshortening effect would make their heads too big, feet too small and legs too short.

thank you, these kind of suggestions are also welcome

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 20/4, whilst a very good lens, might prove to be too slow indoors.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus OM 2/90mm

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko 50mm f1.4 & Zuiko 100mm f2.8 both give great results on my E3. I would prefer to use the 50mm lens one stop down for optimum quality due to a tendency for it to produce coloured haloing wide open.

Whilst not really relevant as you don't have a copy, I also like the Samyang 85mm f1.4 which allows tight head shots with shallow depth of field. The point is, 85mm is not too long for portrait work even with an 4/3 camera.

Accuracy of focus will be a critical issue with any fast lens wide open (you know this of course Wink ) so I tend to use my EPL1 with VF2 electronic viewfinder for indoor family portrait work. With the E3, I use chipped adapters (I bough a Nikon fitting Samyang to allow this), but don't always find the AF confirm to be spot on. My eyes are not too good though, so you may not have the same problems I do in judging focus.

The ZD 12-60mm is a very, very fine lens, but with only f4 at the long end may not give a shallow enough depth of field for close-in portrait work. Thus, your decision to use MF lenses is sound.

Have you though about trying your Sigma 105mm macro for tight shots?

Good luck

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Zuiko 90/2, especially if your local dance group wear some typical dressings to show off ...

Otherwise, i would go also for the Pentax 50/1.4 ...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
That 20/4, whilst a very good lens, might prove to be too slow indoors.

i'll have 2 Kaiser studiolights 1000 along with my fl-50r, so i will have enough light