Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need some help with a CARL ZEISS JENA 135mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Need some help with a CARL ZEISS JENA 135mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm a newbie - both to this site, and to dSLRs, and to using MF lenses... but just like to experiment Smile

I have bought a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/2.8 on eBay here for 37 GBP.
Description says its a Prakticar PB MC lens made in Germany with a Bayonet fitting.

I am using a Canon 450D and would like to know what kind of adapter I need for this lens?

I've tried searching around, but mostly what I find is a Zeiss 135mm f/3.5 lens - which seems to sell for much more on ebay... so, did I happen to get a good deal on this lens, or have I just bought an expensive paperweight?

Thanks!
/Sifaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My research hasn't brought anything up other than disappointment on that front. Maybe others will have better news than I but I don't think it's adaptable to the Canon EOS system. Hope I'm wrong though!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to adapt: http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/prakticar_to_eos_adapters
but I don't know it is easy to find a ready to use adapter. The lens might be a good one and the price seems quite reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Thanks for the inputs... I have found some adapters for Prakticar PB to EOS on eBay (mostly in Hong Kong). From this auction it would appear that I can have a plug and play adapter (without hacking the camera or lens), but without infinity focus.

Presumably all these scary modifications are needed to shave it down to achieve infinity focus?

Any recommendations on these adapters? e.g. are these hong kong sellers reliable? (I once bought a laptop motherboard from hong kong and got ripped off)

Thanks!
/Sifaan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our supplier Alex did made EOS-Praktica B adapter he could get infinity with some lens and don't get with others. Contact to him hk300 in pm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, this is the last version of the Pentacon 135/2.8. The Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135/3.5 was also available in PB mount, and is also labelled Carl Zeiss Jena.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best PB to EOS adapter I know of is one which was hand-made in Poland a few years ago. I bought two for myself and on-sold the next 5 pieces to the same guy - he bought two, and came back and bought all the rest!

The HK ones which are available now are I believe, a rip-off of this guy's design.

Some lenses e.g. PB20/2.8 will foul on the mirror of the FF cameras, but generally any PB lens should go to infinity on the cheaper line APSC cameras like the 450D.