Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with this lens A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 1:2.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Need help with this lens A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 1:2.8/50 Reply with quote

does anyone recognize this lens? i have search it in the web but never saw one like it... (or maybe i didnt search that much...) do you know how much its worth? i has fungus inside and im thinking, is it worth it to spend $40 for cleaning? it has 12 blades..

sample pic both crop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Question

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoting directly from the Lens Vade Mecum

Quote:

Schacht was initially at Munchen, and moved to Ulm in the late 1950's or 1960's. [Note the personnel interviewed at Steinheil's works by the B.I.O.S. team. They met a Dr Schacht there.] At least the Ulm lenses carry the place name, and an Albinar is engraved from Muenchen. Schacht were an important maker of lenses for 35mm cameras, especially SLR cameras postwar whose products were rather solidly mounted in brass focusing tubes. They also made lenses in M39, mainly perhaps earlier for USA, and these are known in the UK only from one late agency. Most were for M42 and Exakta SLR's. Initially production seems to be in white metal (alloy) finish but went over to black with white raised parts. The trade names mainly began 'Trave'. It is quite appropriate that Leitz in the UK sold some of their lenses in coupled M39x26 mount for Leica after the official Leitz programme had ended. This was about 10/1955. Most or all the lenses are coded 'R' and this may indicate antireflexion treatment (rather than for Reflex, or other code). Production in Germany seems to have ceased about 1970, but a few lenses for Exakta were made with Trave names in the 1970's, and these seem to have been made in the Far East. It is suspected that th Alpagon has an interesting story but this is not yet available to be included.

This Travent 2.8/50 is listed under their standard lenses.

Quote:

Travenar f2.8 50mm Q15 type, Layout Sch003.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know this lens, but I have the Travenar 90/2.8, which is a jewel of a lens, sharp, with lots of contrast and very well built. It also has one of the smoothest bokeh I have ever seen, which doesn't seem to be the case with your lens Wink. But contrast and sharpness seem to be there and the bokeh might be suitable for some subjects. The lens also looks gorgeous and I really think it's worth $40 of cleaning.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have heard of this lens before, but i didn't knew someone using it ... Nevertheless, i have the 90/2.8 and the 135/4.5, and found them really fine. If i were you, i would really give it a chance ... Or you could sell it to me, if you don't want to Wink ...

Cheers