Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need help CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 no aperture ring weird mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: need help CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 no aperture ring weird mount Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have a collection of old lenses that I have started to use again and I can't figure out this old Carl Zeiss lens. It has no aperture ring and a bayonet mount. The aperture blades function by depressing a countersunk button. I would appreciate anyone suggestions on what I can do to use this lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: need help CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 no aperture ring weird moun Reply with quote

Hamiltom wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a collection of old lenses that I have started to use again and I can't figure out this old Carl Zeiss lens. It has no aperture ring and a bayonet mount. The aperture blades function by depressing a countersunk button. I would appreciate anyone suggestions on what I can do to use this lens.

Now your pictures will show up...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exacta mount?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your lens is Praktina mount.
Very hard to adapt, because the diafragm is operated by the camera...
(The camera pushes a pin in the mount to open the diafragm)

Regards, Gertjan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's Pentina, not Praktina. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertjan, I wonder if this is actually for the leaf-shutter East German slr dating from the mid-1960s? I must be getting old, the name escapes me at the moment . . . was it the Pentina?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Ian beat me to it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Gertjan, I wonder if this is actually for the leaf-shutter East German slr dating from the mid-1960s? I must be getting old, the name escapes me at the moment . . . was it the Pentina?

LOL, we had the same thought at the same time! Smile

The aluminium focusing ring is the giveaway, all the Pentina lenses by Meyer and CZJ had the same distinctive ring like the Tessar the OP has.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: need help CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 no aperture ring weird moun Reply with quote

Hamiltom wrote:

That looks like the standard lens from a Pentina camera. This was an East German SLR with a leaf shutter behind the lens, and an exclusive breech lock lens mount:

http://www.praktica-collector.de/117_Pentina_E.htm

There was a thread here about the lenses:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=35293

It's going to be difficult (but not impossible) to adapt this to anything modern. As the aperture ring was on the body and not the lens, you'll need to manufacture an adapter that has its own diaphragm control. This might be achieved by salvaging parts from a non-working camera (most of them seem to be non-working these days). Whether it's worth the trouble is another matter... Tessars are widely available in more friendly mounts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are right with Pentina.
Actually I have the very same lens that Ian showed, the Meyer Domigor 4/135 in Pentina mount.
Even with that lens in front of me I thougt it looked more like Praktina......

Unfortunately is the practical difference very small....
Both mounts have in common that, because of the camera operated aperture, they are allmost impossible to adapt......

Regards, Gertjan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Gertjan, you would need to remove the aperture control and mount from the camera to adapt these lenses.

It would be worth doing for the 85mm Cardinar as it only appeared in Pentina mount and should be a stunning lens as the 100mm Cardinar for Werra is.

I don't know about the Domigor, it only appeared in Pentina, it is probably a different formula to the common 2.8/135 Meyer as it is an f4 lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapt Domigor with tape Smile to play ok.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have never seen a pentina. I have to agree that this one is not going to be worth modifying. It will end up a decoration or a parts donor if I get another that is in rough shape.

Thanks again for all that replied. I just realized how much I have to learn about this hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila’s reply stimulated me. You have to be creative!
This Pentina Domigor 4/135 was just sitting on my shelf for years.

So, I opened the lens. When you remove the aperture pin the aperture springs wide open.
And wide open is the most interesting aperture of lenses like this one!

I mounted the lens to a short (18mm) extension ring, with tape.
It works on my Canon 5D2, with infinity focus, easy clearing the mirror.

First test shots are looking good. I found a new hobby / adapting project.

Thanks Atilla, for stimulating me.
For your peace of mind, my tinkering is fully reversible (until now.....)

Regards, Gertjan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeeing some samples from the Domigor Smile