Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice for a set of manual focus lenses on budget…
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the Tamron SP 90mm F2.5 (52BB) Macro for 90$ however it needs cleaning! I can see at the last optical element a fungus but other then that the lens is in amazing condition even not so much dust.

I also got included in the price Tamron Extension Tube for 1:1 macro and 2x adaptall-2 adapters (Nikon AI and Olympus OM) as well as Tamron hood and manuals for ext. tube and the lens. Just box was missing...

here are two samples...
also the lens itself...

No PP at all straight out of the camera for first 2 sample pictures...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that due to upload pictures are loosing some of the micro contrast. I compared on my monitor uploaded version and original and I see more micro details on the original... but nothing to be worried about. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got a very good deal!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called Tamron Service Center and asked for cleaning price quote... They asked for $80 which is not bad at all.

Next week this lens goes to Tamron Service Facility and will be back in 1 week! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Called Tamron Service Center and asked for cleaning price quote... They asked for $80 which is not bad at all.

Next week this lens goes to Tamron Service Facility and will be back in 1 week! Cool

Excellent...for me that is a very good price to get a lens serviced. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice for a set of manual focus lenses on budget… Reply with quote

RAART wrote:

Idea 24mm: +1 for Tamron 24/2.5, Vivitar 24/2 (kiron)
Idea 50mm: Nikon AF 1.8; Pentax-A 1.7 Hard to beat these two for value. Not much room for improvement
Idea 90mm: +1 for the Tamron SP52BB, any OEM 85 you can't really go wrong with. Korean 85/1.4 used
Idea 135mm: SMC Tak (Pentax K) 135/2.5, Vivitar CF 135/2.8
Idea 180mm: CZJ 180/2.8 football lens lol. (i'd say redundant with 200mm though and this sucker is HEAVY and seldom <$200)
Idea 200mm: Vivitar 70-210/3.5, Tamron 70-210/3.5
Idea 300mm: +1 Tair-3A/PhS 300/4.5
Idea 400mm: Tamron/Spiratone/Generic 400/6.9
Idea 50mm Macro: Zuiko Auto-Macro 3.5 you can try Industar 61/Volna-9 I've heard good things for $$
Idea 90mm Macro: +1 for the Tamron SP52BB again, +1 Vivitar CF 90/2.8 (komine)
Idea 135mm Macro: +1 Vivitar CF 135/2.8 (komine)
Idea 200mm Macro: Tamron CF 70-210/3.5-4 52A (its not the sharpest but with 1:2 at 210mm with 60 so odd cm working distance and very good color correction, its hard to pass up. you can also slap on an adaptall 2x convertor or the 18F extender for added magnification)

The Vivitar CF 55/90/135 are all sleepers but lens addicts have awoken and for the few few samples you do find, most are inflated past $200. Great lenses that are all capable of 1:1/1:1/1:2 respectively. Good colour and sharpness.

But honestly, I think you are already pretty well set for tele now that you have your recently acquired Tamron 90mm 52BB with extension tube especially if you are shooting m4/3.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was at my friend's place and he asked which 50mm lens he should purchase to take photographs of his paintings. He is very critical in terms of colors and sharpness. While I do have a "collection" of 50mm lenses we decided to test them in controlled environment, under the same lighting set up whenever he paints in the evening or at night. We had set 2 lights (6500K) indirect and 1 (6500K) indirect too but to slightly shine the light at painting at angle we didn't see any reflections also 1 light (2400K) indirect...

The following lenses were tested on tripod with IS disabled:

Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4
Super-Takumar 55mm F2
Olympus 50mm F3.5 Macro
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm F1.8

while I forget adapters at home two lenses were not tested: Minolta MD 50mm F2 and Canon FD 1.8 (latest version).

I was very surprised with outcome...

Sharpest lens was Super-Takumar 55mm followed closely by SMC Pentax-A 50mm, Olympus and Super-Takumar 50mm and as last Nikon AF Nikkor.

In terms of color accuracy we chose Olympus and SMC Pentax-A as first choice, followed by Super-Takumar 55...

We finally decided to get Olympus 50mm F3.5 Macro for my friend while when we sum color accuracy and sharpness this was the best compromise...

Very surprised outcome at least for me.

EDIT: He will use Olympus lens on Canon T3i and the test was conducted with Olympus Pen E-PL1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
RAART wrote:

Excellent...for me that is a very good price to get a lens serviced. Cool

+1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally de-yellowed my Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 Razz
It took maybe two days (left it longer a bit) with JANSJÖ Ikea Led Lamp and now no more yellowing on the pictures!

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20169658/[/url]