Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My trusty old Contax and Mamiya RZ67 kits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: My trusty old Contax and Mamiya RZ67 kits Reply with quote

I have to admit that these piccies show only a part of each kit. I'm delighted to say though that all the gear shown is working and gets used during the course of the year. I also have to admit to some Contax 645 equipment too and some digital Contax stuff.

Oh yes, and there's a digital back to add to the Mamiya RZ67s.

A thinning out will start shortly....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm! Shocked I guess you are a collector Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I never seen similar collection ! I wish to see pictures also taken with your gear. I am envy as well Laughing Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, quite an impressive collection! Do you have any spare 85/1.4s ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a huge collection! Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
mmmm! Shocked I guess you are a collector Cool

Ouch! That hurts...still a photographer I'm happy to say though with health issues Sad , only just...hence the thinning of my gear shortly.

'Er indoors will be pleased though. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Shocked I never seen similar collection ! I wish to see pictures also taken with your gear. I am envy as well Laughing Congrats!!

It looks big (there's about half as much again) but if you realise that I started using Contax gear back in 1977 and have never stopped, I suppose it equates to a couple of cameras and/or lenses per year. Not too bad. My first book was published way back in 1980 and I could not have taken the photos without the RTS, 5fps motor and 250 back and a bunch of fast Zeiss lenses. It was on gymnastics and you have the problem of freezing action without using flash in a poorly lit environment in a Romanian training hall. That's when the bug bit....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at those years was more hard to collect gears, than now when most people crazy about digitals. Can we know more about you? (Books, etc ) I am curious Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh!!!! Oh!!!

The CONTAX collection is AMAZING!!!! Shocked Shocked

OHHH! I am dying!!!

I am not going to asleep tonight!!!

Arrrgh!

BEAUTIFUL !!

tf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive!
And I'm drooling. A lot. Fortunately, I always keep a bucket close to me for these kind of situations Very Happy
Where you part of the staff when you were shooting in Romania?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stupified. I thought I had some stuff in Minolta. Now I know its not. What a great Contax collection!
OK am only amateur ofcourse.
Never had a 6x7 in my hands. Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments on my old Contax gear.

As to Romania, I was working on my first book back in 1977/78 which was published in the US and UKin 1980, called 'Behind the Scenes of Gymnastics' and while I was commuting between the UK and Romania fell under the spell of Nadia Comaneci which led to us writing her co-written autobiography 'Nadia - My Own Story' which was widely published and made into a movie. While I was in Romania, I ended up doing a little choreographic coaching at Sports School No 2 - I still jealously guard my gymnastics team medals from those far distant days.

I took thousands of pics of Nadia and her team-mates between 1977 and 1985. My Zeiss lenses of choice were 28 f2, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 100 f2, 135 f2 and at the end 85 1.2. And how I loved the W-6/PMD/RTSII or RTS Fundus combination. And radio control in 1979 was pretty rare and gave me problems with the security services over there but was a boon when using 2 cameras in fixed positions and one in the hand.

All a long time ago.... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating! few believe there was no sport photography before AF, your experience tell alot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is a fantastic collection, congratulations and many thanks for sharing! Smile Smile

P.s. Do you have any idea how many of those gold Contaxs were made?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is a fantastic collection, congratulations and many thanks for sharing! Smile Smile

P.s. Do you have any idea how many of those gold Contaxs were made?

I believe there were 100 for Germany, 100 for Japan, 100 for Europe and 100 for the rest of the world - each had a slightly different prefix to the numbers, eg, Germany: D-42 (number 42 of 100 for Germany). There were also some variations made which lacked some of the gold trim and these were promotional gifts and rewards for staff - they followed a different numbering system and some simply had a Contax serial number. Probably around 500 bodies and around 300 lenses in gold in varying forms were manufactured. There was also a RTSII in gold but they are very, very rare as very few were made.

I also have a few Contax RTS/RTS Fundus bodies with a gold base plate - again these are quite rare as they were demonstrator models.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax gear city ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also have a few Contax RTS/RTS Fundus bodies with a gold base plate - again these are quite rare as they were demonstrator models.

So the golden camera in your avatar is one of them, and not a PS-result?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait... when will some ouf this stuff appear in the marketplace section? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggles3 : my respect to your work (and collection)!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggles3 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind comments on my old Contax gear.

As to Romania, I was working on my first book back in 1977/78 which was published in the US and UKin 1980, called 'Behind the Scenes of Gymnastics' and while I was commuting between the UK and Romania fell under the spell of Nadia Comaneci which led to us writing her co-written autobiography 'Nadia - My Own Story' which was widely published and made into a movie. While I was in Romania, I ended up doing a little choreographic coaching at Sports School No 2 - I still jealously guard my gymnastics team medals from those far distant days.

I took thousands of pics of Nadia and her team-mates between 1977 and 1985. My Zeiss lenses of choice were 28 f2, 35 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 100 f2, 135 f2 and at the end 85 1.2. And how I loved the W-6/PMD/RTSII or RTS Fundus combination. And radio control in 1979 was pretty rare and gave me problems with the security services over there but was a boon when using 2 cameras in fixed positions and one in the hand.

All a long time ago.... Crying or Very sad

Impressive story and camera collection!
Thanks for sharing!