Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My second date with Mamiya just got hotter.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: My second date with Mamiya just got hotter. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

After my previous "date" with Mamiya 55mm f/1.8, I decided to take "her" out for another spin and continue our walk down Chapel street to further develop our relationship (no, we are not getting married, I already am) Laughing.

The yellow glow behind the color wheel was caused by the street light reflecting into the wet asphalt.

In case you were wondering, the green and blue colored artifacts in the highlights of the above photo are reflections from the neon lights of the opposite side of the street.

Considering what the photographic society has accepted as an "unwritten standard" the bokeh is not perfect , it has slightly pronounced rings around the circular highlights, and very often the circles are closer to ellipses.

Despite all this I still think it is a very good and interesting lens with a very good character.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your wife think about all the other women in your life that you take on moonlight strolls around town Very Happy

The first shot shows the highlight bokeh (that I am not very fond of) well. Were these items in a glass display case? I think shooting glass can be a challenge and even more so when it is behind additional glass.

I like the last photo, even with the reflection in the glass. A shot does not have to be 'perfect' to be pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for sharing these photos, it is nice to see how a lens performs in other than ideal lighting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the way you crop your subjects. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe

what a great introduction to this lens. I have recently acquired the mamiya 55/1.4 and early results look promising

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb samples & very nice bokeh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
What does your wife think about all the other women in your life that you take on moonlight strolls around town Very Happy

The first shot shows the highlight bokeh (that I am not very fond of) well. Were these items in a glass display case? I think shooting glass can be a challenge and even more so when it is behind additional glass.

I like the last photo, even with the reflection in the glass. A shot does not have to be 'perfect' to be pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for sharing these photos, it is nice to see how a lens performs in other than ideal lighting.

Oh, she is unaware if my intrigue with Mamiya 55/1.8, she thinks it's just another cheap lens:)

I agree completely with you that a photo does not have to be perfectly performed in order to be pleasing. I think we often form our sense of what is good based on somebody else opinion which somehow has become a standard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the drum shot. shop windows are challenging to photograph through but full of interest!