Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My newest ...Kodak 35 RF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
BD Keep an eye out for the kodak 80 signet lenses and camera they are very nice! Kodak did have some hidden treasures back in its early days.Post up some samples from that little 35 when you can.

I've passed on several Signet 80's as they are a little too 60-70's modern design looking to me. Too square and techie looking. Have to go back and look again I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Quote:
One of the most interesting US Military Cameras is the Kodak 35 made for submarine service during W.W.II. Olive green, it was supplied in a special wooden case with instructions for attaching to the periscope.

http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonmil.htm

Why on earth someone would want to do that. Wouldn't any other camera be easier to attatch to a periscope. Smile

BTW, one should always check what year the webpage is, I know that military is often conservative, but:
Quote:
Digital Kodak DCS420, which is based on the Nikon N90s, in use now by the U.S. Marines

Ok, even 2003 that was very obsloete ..

Not a submarine periscope but one used to look out of an entrenchment such as a fox hole. The reason is to keep from getting your head blown off. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US military camera article is copyrighted 2003, but I suspect its latest information was from before that.
I have seen fairly new cameras in military surplus sales.

Check them out - generally not practical unless you are local and can pick them up.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=camera&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=P_Lot_Number|0&words=camera&cmd=keyword

It looks like the US Military gets rid of their old cameras and lenses every 8-10 years or so. There are lots of Nikon D1x from 10 years ago, some D70's that are newer of course. There are generally quite a few bidders, hence few real bargains.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The US military camera article is copyrighted 2003, but I suspect its latest information was from before that.
I have seen fairly new cameras in military surplus sales.

Check them out - generally not practical unless you are local and can pick them up.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=camera&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=P_Lot_Number|0&words=camera&cmd=keyword

It looks like the US Military gets rid of their old cameras and lenses every 8-10 years or so. There are lots of Nikon D1x from 10 years ago, some D70's that are newer of course. There are generally quite a few bidders, hence few real bargains.

Most of the old Kodaks go for around 500 US or so. I'm a shooter as well as a collector and at those prices I'd be afraid to use one! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way cool camera in a borg-ish sort of way ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it looks that bad. I bet it will clean up quite well. Just be careful what ever you use doesn't take the paint out of the lettering.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
way cool camera in a borg-ish sort of way ...

That's the Steam Punk look. A camera the Borg would use. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
I don't think it looks that bad. I bet it will clean up quite well. Just be careful what ever you use doesn't take the paint out of the lettering.

Don't worry. They used mostly lacquer based paints and lead based enamels. Rubbing alcohol won't bother either one. I'll polish up the aluminum and then re-lacquer. Should do well.