Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My macro rig
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: My macro rig Reply with quote

I thought I'd show everyone what I've been using to get my recent macro shots of bees/hoverflies/etc, like this;

Versatar 70-210 macro (with Raynox 250)-3 by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

My Canon 7D has a Velbon flash bracket attached, upon which is a Yongnuo 565EX speedlight. Unfortunately the 7D doesn't wirelessly trigger the flash, so I use the pop-up as a trigger (the pop-up light has no effect on the exposure). The mini-softbox was bought on ebay for £3 and seems to work really well.
On camera is my Vivitar 70-210/3.5 with a Raynox DCR-250 attached to the front. At full zoom this combination provides around 2:1 magnification.
I can swing the speedlight in any direction, the angle in the photo below works in most cases. I had a plan to use two flash on two of these brackets, but it was rightly pointed out to me that it would be too heavy and cumbersome.
In this configuration I find it quite easy to hand-hold for long periods, avoiding the restrictions tripods and monopods put on the photographer when shooting fast moving subjects.
EDIT forgot to say, this set-up gives me about 7 inches between lens and subject.

(apologies for crappy phone camera photo)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that rig Gary.
I can't see how you hooked that flash to the handle but I hope to be a ball head because you want the diffuser where the lens ends.
You don't intend to use the built-in flash, do you? Not like that anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I like that rig Gary.
I can't see how you hooked that flash to the handle but I hope to be a ball head because you want the diffuser where the lens ends.
You don't intend to use the built-in flash, do you? Not like that anyway.

Thanks Very Happy
You're right, the flash is attached to the bracket via a ball-head connector, it has just enough friction to hold the flash steady.
The built-in flash is simply a trigger for the Yongnuo, which is is a slave here. The 7D doesn't speak the same language as Yongnuo so I can't trigger it wirelessly. As I said, the built-in flash has no effect on the exposure at all, the amount of light it emits is tiny but enough to trigger the Yongnuo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't speak the same language but you can help with the translation Very Happy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_kw=flash+trigger

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=camera+flash+cord&_sacat=0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
They don't speak the same language but you can help with the translation Very Happy

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_kw=flash+trigger

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=camera+flash+cord&_sacat=0

I've added one of those wireless triggers to my wishlist, I'll probably buy one at some point. But at the moment everything works fine as it is. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't change anything, it seems to works perfectly like this Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Don't change anything, it seems to works perfectly like this Smile

Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Gary,

So my K1000 has a dead hot shoe, always has. I bought a hot shoe bracket that has a wire to connect to the flash port. Would something like that work? It adds about 0/75 inches or less to the flash's height, and a wire could be in the way, but it's about a $4 solution.

But honestly, the rig you have right now works really well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Hey, Gary,

So my K1000 has a dead hot shoe, always has. I bought a hot shoe bracket that has a wire to connect to the flash port. Would something like that work? It adds about 0/75 inches or less to the flash's height, and a wire could be in the way, but it's about a $4 solution.

But honestly, the rig you have right now works really well.

Well for $4 it's certainly worth a try right! Sounds fine to me, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Very Happy