Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My favorite Helios-40 photos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: My favorite Helios-40 photos Reply with quote

Here is a sampling of my favorite photos taken with my Canon Rebel XT and my Helios-40 lens.

Here are a couple photos of the lens. I think I paid extra for the serial number, but I love it. (Hmmm, the glass looks a little yellow compared to the white paper I used as a background.)

I am not great at product photography, but the lens is in immaculate shape. I think it had never been used before I got it. I am not too crazy about how poorly the M39 to EOS adapter fits on the back of the lens. It looks a little crooked. I have an M39 to M42 adapter on the way so I will see if it makes a difference.

#1 - Although I am not too crazy about the 85mm length on the Canon Rebel, I love how this lens does portraits. I took this picture just moments after the package arrived at my house. My granddaughter is my favorite model (when she cooperates), and this is my favorite photo of her. I am not sure that the focus is exactly where I want it to be, but I think it is close enough and I love her smile and expression.

#2 - For these next few photos I used the orange filter which came with the lens and I converted the photos to B&W in GIMP.

#3 - Although sometimes the Helios-40 can give some wild swirly bokeh I think this (and the next few photos) is nicely rendered and quite smooth.

#4 - There I am reflected in my granddaughter's sunglasses.

#6 - I just love how the background is so completely obliterated.

I am pretty sure all these portraits were taken wide open at f/1.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful early example of this lens Paul, it's stunning to look at. Hopefully, you'll fare out better with the M39-M42 adapter when it arrives.

And, very nice sample images Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some garden and flower "portraits" taken with my Helios-40.

#7 - This is a hanging garden decoration that I have had a super hard time getting in sharp focus with various lenses, but I think it came out great with the Helios-40.

#8 - Here is another view of that same decorative doo-dad in landscape orientation.

#9 - I don't exactly remember the aperture used here, but I think it was f/5.6 or f/8.

#10 - This photo was certainly taken at f/1.5

#11 - I love how this photo seems to show a kind of a 3-D effect.

#12 - Minimum focusing distance is 0.8m with the Helios-40 but on the Rebel XT the 85mm focal length gets in pretty close.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots and congratulations on getting that lens. One of these days I plan to do the same!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens and beautiful pics.
My fav are #1 for the portraits and #10 for the bokeh.
Thanks to share.