Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Most Unusual - Sun Trigger Preset Zoom M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Most Unusual - Sun Trigger Preset Zoom M42 Reply with quote

At a photographic group meeting last light, I was given a bag of old camera gear.
Inside among other lenses was this most interesting pre-set lens by Sun.
The aperture is set normally via the aperture ring and this acts as the pre-set.
The aperture is not automatically actuated but squeezed into place before taking by the trigger on the pistol grip.
In practice it is awkward.
You really need three hands to focus, hold the pistol grip and shoot. But it is an interesting idea.
Beautifully made - all metal and glass with tight tolerances and smooth as silk mechanicals.
Still looks new, so probably didn't get much use.
Specs are:
Sun Hi-Tele Zoom lens.
f4.8 85-210mm
M42

OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were common both with and without the grip. I've never owned one though so don't know how it perform, but my guess is so-so as it is one of the early zooms.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
These were common both with and without the grip. I've never owned one though so don't know how it perform, but my guess is so-so as it is one of the early zooms.

This one won't work without the pistol grip.
It contains the mechanism which is the only way to close the aperture.
Aperture can be closed via the trigger and locked for stop-down metering via the little slide lever lock on the side of the pistol grip.
Without the grip, none of this works and the aperture is fully open.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three versions of this, including this pistol grip version. Its quite common in all its versions.
Interestingly one version was sold by Topcon as a Topcor, but designated 87-205/4.7, one of the oddest specs ever.

Its much easier to use on a film camera, with the cable release. One hand serves to hold the grip and press the trigger, while the other focuses. On DSLR its considerably more trouble !

I find these vary a lot. Some of mine are better, some worse.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-85-210-4-8-preset-t-mount-zoom-with-pistol-grip-t12610,highlight,%2Bsun.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just looked into the bottom of the bag and voila - a cable release.
Here it is attached.

And here on a Spotmatic.

Much easier to use.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Moments of truth Reply with quote

After Ian's comments about IQ, I wasn't expecting much - in fact, I wasn't even going to test the lens - just pop it back into the bag as an interesting relic.
However curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see what it could do.
Mounted on a tripod, the trigger is surprisingly easy to use and even convenient.
The results were quite a surprise.
See for yourself:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 10, 2016 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for testing this lens, I have seen them on ebay occasionally and have always wondered.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one and it was sharp as the dickens. But it didn't have the cable release, so it was very hard to use.