Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More from Big Bend, processed in coffee.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: More from Big Bend, processed in coffee. Reply with quote

Here are a couple of Mamiya 645AFD shots from Big Bend.

These are the ruins of a miner’s house, the mine manager’s house before the mine gave out in the early 1900s

Here is a friend’s caravan. She lives between Mexico, New Mexico and Texas mostly, and uses the caravan to travel in. She built a house in San Miguel De Allende, Mexico but travels a bit to see old friends.

Yes, that’s a 66 VW that she uses to haul the caravan.

The shots were with FP4+ using a Mamiya 45mm lens and processed in coffee, yes the coffee adventure continues. This time I added some vitamin C powder to acidify the soup a bit more. It worked very well.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, Jules, I like both of these. The rounded top of the caravan
is reminiscent of what I saw the Basque sheepherders use in south
central Idaho.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Great results, Jules, I like both of these. The rounded top of the caravan
is reminiscent of what I saw the Basque sheepherders use in south
central Idaho.

Thanks much,

The fellow that built hers has a business building wooden trailers. This one is the smallest he has built and wasn't built commercially though he did end up selling it to my friend.. Check out http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/ for a bunch of these.

PS: Here's her caravan when he sold it to her.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house/jays-vardo-for-sale/

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting. i like the first shot.
but that bug is a '68 or later. i can tell from the tailight and bumper ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you drink the coffee after??...seriously why use coffee?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Did you drink the coffee after??...seriously why use coffee?

No I don't drink it after Very Happy The washing soda and the vitamin C in the mix kind of affect the flavor negatively.

I use it because I really like staining developers such as the Pyro family.

Coffee is a staining developer that's cheap and non-toxic and it gives a pretty stunning result IMO, and it's fun to see people say . . huh?

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

It's actually a '73 or later. Has the round tail lights. The 66 still had the skinny oval ones. Also has the louvered engine cover that first appeared in 1970, IIRC.

Hey Jules, dang good results from coffee! Would you care to pass along your recipe? How about development times? And do you just use a regular fixer afterwards?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love good coffee. i sure didn't know it could do something useful other than make my taste buds feel good ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

I think not. You see it's a Mexican version which is quite different from US version. It has disk brakes all around and other things like the bumper isn't stock. It's been rebuilt to hold a trailer.

I do think it's a 66 but I might be wrong. I'll ask her.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok decaf or full bodied Very Happy ...You learn something new everyday....It works well looking at the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive! superb results!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

It's actually a '73 or later. Has the round tail lights. The 66 still had the skinny oval ones. Also has the louvered engine cover that first appeared in 1970, IIRC.

Hey Jules, dang good results from coffee! Would you care to pass along your recipe? How about development times? And do you just use a regular fixer afterwards?

Thanks much.

There are a number of recipies all pretty similar. Rather than me re-write them, just google "developing pictures in coffee". That will take you to several sites that have pics and instructions. It's pretty easy. and yes, water wash and regular fixer.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Ok decaf or full bodied Very Happy ...You learn something new everyday....It works well looking at the photo.

Hi Mo-fo,

Either one, Some say regular is better and some like instant. I use regular, cheap ckock-full-of-nuts.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
impressive! superb results!

Thanks. Yes the acutance is very good. It's my understanding that this is fairly consistant with all staining developers.

Jules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder what would happen if you used some fresh-ground guatemalen azotea, or jamaican blue mountain. tonal range might jump off the prints! Shocked

should have known that was a mexican or brazilian bug in that kind of shape. the volkswagen plant in puebla no longer makes the bug ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just did some google reading on "cafenol" developing. this is fascinating, especially the knowledge that it develops color film, too - as bw.