Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirror striking lens rear on Nikon?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Mirror striking lens rear on Nikon?! Reply with quote

A few years ago, in a camera store, I tried on a Nikon 35mm f2 AI on my D200. It mounted fine, metered, and gave focus confirmation, but when I fired it, I noticed something odd. Instead of the usual sharp shutter snap, it made a slightly dull thud, and the lens seemed to jump ever so slightly in my hand! I couldn't be sure. It wasn't overt, and it took the picture fine, but it kept me from buying the lens. I've since moved t the D700, and use it occasionally with AI and AIS telephotos without issue.
Recently, I had an opportunity to shoot a friends' D300 with a Nikon 50mm f1.4 AIS on it. Same thud and slight jump! Has anybody else experienced this? I examined the rear of the lens and the mirror, and can't see any signs that they're hitting, but there's definitely something wrong here. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is the mirror? IIRC there an issue with the aperture lever torque between older Nikkors and some Nikon DSLRs that manifests itself in a similar way.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: I'm not sure Reply with quote

No, I'm not sure that it is the mirror. It was just a hypothesis. I'd like to know more about this aperture lever torque issue, like: can it hurt the camera or lens?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used lots of Nikkor AI and AIS lenses on a D50 and D300, and I think I know what you're talking about. The coupling isn't nearly as smooth with some of these lenses as with full-on digital lenses, but it's not the mirror that's the issue.