Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mirand Automex II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Mirand Automex II Reply with quote

A new arrival to my collection. Lots of dents and dings but everything works and works well. Very large bright viewfinder and a smooth shutter release. I like it!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Big Dawg on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now yer talkin! These old Mirandas are very interesting cameras.

You saw on the Bessaflex ad that Sears sold the Automex for $100 more than the Bessaflex, in 1961.
Though this is also from '61 and therefore only has the first Automex, you might be interested in reading the begining of the Miranda book:

Full size (very large and legible) http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/5989861477/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Miranda Manual 1961: first pages by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another pretty camera !

For a long time there Mirandas were in such low esteem people couldn't give them away.

Now the bargains are disappearing.

It must be because people post pictures like these !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the appealing things about Miranda was their adaptability to other lens mounts... but these days, the damn adapters tend to be very expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Now yer talkin! These old Mirandas are very interesting cameras.

You saw on the Bessaflex ad that Sears sold the Automex for $100 more than the Bessaflex, in 1961.
Though this is also from '61 and therefore only has the first Automex, you might be interested in reading the begining of the Miranda book:

Full size (very large and legible) http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/5989861477/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Miranda Manual 1961: first pages by Nesster, on Flickr

Thank you for the manual Jussi. Saves me going to Butkis to get one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yet another pretty camera !

For a long time there Mirandas were in such low esteem people couldn't give them away.

Now the bargains are disappearing.

It must be because people post pictures like these !

Thanks Luis. I like this camera. Very easy to use and it has a Pentax like viewfinder. Bright and clear. The mirror slap is a lot less than the K1000 or spotmatic and waaay quieter than the Bessamatic's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the meter still alive?

The quietness of the Miranda was a big selling point in the 1950s and early 60s, when most SLRs were pretty loud. By the 70s though many were quieter.

The good thing about the automex/sensorex line is the lenses are pretty easy to find, and generally cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

The quietness of the Miranda was a big selling point in the 1950s and early 60s, when most SLRs were pretty loud. By the 70s though many were quieter.

The good thing about the automex/sensorex line is the lenses are pretty easy to find, and generally cheap.

With the right adapters the Line of Vivitar T4's and TX's will do the trick. Dang...I sold mine off......Lens collecting again?!? Pardon the loud scream....THAT WAS MY WIFE SCREAMING NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me collecting Miranda's (get thee behind me Satan !) I would look for the original lenses, not the third party types.
The originals from the late 50's-early 60's are rather different and have a charm of their own, particularly the types with the external shutter linkage a la Exakta or those with the meter linkage like your 50mm there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 5cm Soligor Miranda is excellent.

I figured a Miranda T4 adapter would have been cheap, nobody wants one... but I was wrong. Though one might be able to find such attached to a lens.

I also figured a M42 adapter would be cool. There are some, usually expensive, but with patience one can find a reasonably priced one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 5cm Soligor Miranda with the external arm like an Exakta, almost mint, but the aperture is stuck, I think due to oily blades. I also have the Miranda 1.4/50, been trying to find a Miranda camera or TC cheap to take the mount from to make a Miranda-NEX adapter but they seem to attract a lot of bids now and go for a fairly high price.

Think I'll just sell my Miranda lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually quite difficult to find third party Miranda lenses - excepting T mount/adaptall types.

I don't think any third party Miranda lenses were ever sold in the west, though some were sold in Japan apparently.

Also every one of the PAD lenses I have came to me with stuck aperture blades. It's a simple fix though since all of the front groups of the lens are in one module and screw out as a whole.

PS: Ian I have a teleconverter I'd sell you for a couple bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

The meter works as it should and is spot on. Other than the dints and dings it is a fully functioning camera.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a splendid looking camera. I always had a soft spot for Miranda cameras. If it hadn't been for the stupid name, I swear they'd have knocked a few of the more popular brands into obscurity. I'm a little bit jealous Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're building quite a collection!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone cross-bred Takumar and P6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
What a splendid looking camera. I always had a soft spot for Miranda cameras. If it hadn't been for the stupid name, I swear they'd have knocked a few of the more popular brands into obscurity. I'm a little bit jealous Very Happy

No need to be jealous Graham. They are out there for the taking. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
You're building quite a collection!
Slowly my friend. Very slowly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Looks like someone cross-bred Takumar and P6

That's quite a compliment.