Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MIR-20N with D700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: MIR-20N with D700 Reply with quote

I got myself a MIR-20N over eBay Germany for 111,11€,the other bidder stopped at € 111,00, unfortunately without a front lense-cap and already managed to get a tiny scratch on th lense, but I couldn't care less, as it doesn't show in the pictures.
I went back to my favourite grafitti-covered building near the Frankfurt train-station and tried it out.
Maybe I should say something first about why I'm so attracted to this place:
for me it is a piece of art, an old brick-house (which I would never shoot just for showing bricks) the whole front of which is covered with grafitti in blue, silver, red and white. Then there are the colours of the bronze lock and the silver chain, the structure of the wooden door, the windows, all those vertical and horizontal lines etc. There is simply so much to see and show in a picture that I think it is an optimal place for trying out a lense. Besides this, there are a few bars around mostly frequented by africans from Ethiopia and Eritrea, and I also made a picture (unfortunately with an AF-lense, so I don't show it here), which I called Frankfurt Bronx. You really couldn't tell, if you are in Frankfurt or NY.

The MIR has strong colours, which is well known. It is definitely good for showing blue in all its glory, and whenever I applied Auto-colour in PS 4, the colour changed to a little bit more reddish.
All the pictures were somewhat underexposed, while all my pictures with the Flektofon 4/20 were overexposed. All pictures were made handheld at 320 ISO, all @f 8 except one, which is @f 11.

This one is @f 11:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are three pictures of the facade:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are three more shots while walking home (just for trying out the lense, no artistic aspirations). All at ISO 320, @f 8:

I guess I could have nailed the focus better by using live-view, but that is not always easy without a tripod - and I don't like to run around with one.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped bidding on such a lens at €111,- the other day.
No, just kidding! Wink

Very nice shots indeed. Esp. on a fullframe cam such as the D700 these superwides provide this great effect!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two plant/flower close-ups, 50% crops. Both from a distance of about 20 cm, handheld in an awkward position:

@f 11 ISO 320

@ f8 ISO 320