Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

minolta srt 303
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: minolta srt 303 Reply with quote

I can buy this cam by very very little cost (< uSs 5)

only a body. Cosmetically is 9. Mechanism 10. meter to try.

Any suggestion? It's welcome.

Thanks.Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rather heavy, sturdy and reliable. Less luxury then XG9 in handling, but at least you have some Rokkor lenses, so why not? Most of the meters work still OK after all these years (with zinc-air or converter and SR44 battery). Light seals and mirror buffer to replace.
I take mine from time to time in use and I still like it. But I had my first STR101 in 1970 (as successor for SR1s), so I am somewhat nostalgic with these cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Minolfan.

It seems to me to be a cheap way to use minolta lenses (specially the MC 1,2/58 if I find one here).

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SRT 303 (SRT 102 in the USA) is, some would argue, the very best of the Minolta SRT series. For $US 5, it would require absolutely no thought on my part. A great manual, mechanical camera.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that my favorit lenses are 35/1.8, 85mm/1.7 after 100mm/3.5macro that I like very much since I bought it new. When I use a normal lens I most times pick a 50mm/1.4, because it is less bulky then the 58mm/1.2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a Good Buy - check the external aperture-follower cam is working freely as they sometimes get stiff. Nice viewfinder on this model.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

cooltouch. I haven't experience with minolta. Only had a XG-9 in 1980. And the 303 is so cheap. . . . .

Minolfan. I shall look for the 1,8/35 too. I don't make many portraits and in this campus, the J-9 (yes, the J-9 Shocked ) has to me catched. Of course if I could buy again the summilux M 75, say good bye to the J-9, but. .

scsambrook. Thanks for your suggestion. I shall do it.

Thanks for all guys.

Rino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just bought the SRT 101b and not sure what to use it for other than night shots, checked the rokkor F1.4 out and the bokeh looks interesting, but the colours look odd to me...Gonna go back to my usual store with another film as I wasn't impressed with the sharpness of the lens either (well the results were nothing special).

Rokkor 58mm PF MC at about f5.6
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/SRTrokf1-4vivmacro938.jpg

Rokkor 58mm PF MC at f1.4
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/SRTrokf1-4vivmacro939.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older high speed Rokkor lenses tended to be slightly warm in tone, which showed up on colour slide films. The pics you've shown here suggest something might have gone not-quite-right with the processing. Maybe try another high quality, fresh, film and a reliable processing station. Or shoot some colour slide film, which is the best test of all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Stephen about the colour from Rokkor PF 58/1.4 @f5.6.
The same lens, I converted to EF mount, does not show such colour
in my experience. Yes the lens is a bit soft at its wide open, but closed down
it performs quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere, here and there, that the two marvelous lenses in MC mount were the MC Rokkor PF 50/1,4 and 58/1,2.

In the MD kind, the last was made by cosina without the switch and not minolta level (?). Really?

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

In the MD kind, the last was made by cosina without the switch and not minolta level (?). Really?

Rino.

I have never heard of this, it is very doubtful.

MC Rokkor-PF 50/1.4 has such a nice bokeh, Leica lens design team
loved and copied that design for their first Summilux-R 50. Of course
this is not a confirmed story. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Koji

Thanks to your commentary. I NEED the PF 1,4/50 (althought I have a SMC 1,4 that render like a summilux M 1966 version). When I hear LEICA lens I lost the faculty to think .

About Cosina's minolta 50mm lens, I found this (sure you know it, but. . )

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/body_li.html

At the end of the page, please.

Regards, RIno.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rino,

I looked that link, but I still cannot believe it. I can ask the best Minoltan(s)
in japan about Cosina's involvement for the last MD series lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit of research I did on Minolta's MC and MD mounts, which was probably 17 or 18 years ago, suggests that the first MD Rokkors were basically MCs but with the extra tab for engaging the Program mode. The later Minolta MD lenses had the switch so the Program tab wouldn't be accidentally moved from its setting. I personally haven't seen any Minolta MDs that did not have the switch. Minolta also had the Celtic line of lenses, both in MC and MD mount. They were a less expensive line. Perhaps these were Cosina made? After doing a bit of searching on the net, I finally located an MD Celtic photographed at the right angle to view the Program tab. Yup, no switch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Hi Rino,

I looked that link, but I still cannot believe it. I can ask the best Minoltan(s)
in japan about Cosina's involvement for the last MD series lenses.

Yes, very rare. As Cooltouch said, the celtic lenses can be cosina.

If you can ask, it sounds very, very interesant.

Thanks. Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Rokkor zoom lenses were made by Tokina ...
Cosina made optics for Nikon (E series) , for pentax (bodies too , P30...)), Chinon, Ricoh , etc .... It is not impossible they made lenses for Minolta.