Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Tele Rokkor 200mm 1:4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've found the 75-200 f4.5. Version very cheap , I'm looking for a good zoom in this range , but unfortunately cannot find enough info comparing it with primes or other versions of the rokkor.

Wht kind of camera are you using (FF. APS-C, u-4/3)? If FF, I could provide three corner crops from the folowing:

* MC/MD 4/200mm (first computation, lager and slightly better than the latter MD 4/200mm)
* MD 4.5/75-200
* MD/AF 4/70-210mm

S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephan, I'm using A7II basically ,and that's where I'm planing to use it forward. The 70-150 is impossible to get here ,nFD mostly bearing issues , so I'm wondering how could I cover the gap for landscapes. I'm also following a cheap macro 35-70 rokkor ,but, to be honest I feel so comfortable with 1.8 MC 34mm and 1.4 PG ,that I'm not sure I would really need it once I could cover the 70-200mm 4.5 .
On the other side ,Zeiss ain't easy to find neither ,and way too expensive nowadays.
Tte Minolta 100 mm 2.5 i like very much for everything, but it's still limited on FL for landscapes (basically hiking)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've found the 75-200 f4.5. Version very cheap , I'm looking for a good zoom in this range , but unfortunately cannot find enough info comparing it with primes or other versions of the rokkor.

I've got the MD 70-210/4 (MD III) and this lens here, the MD 200/4 (MD II).
The MD 200/4 is substantial better than the zoom lens on the long end, in every respect.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some statements before regarding some version of rokkor equalizing the primes , at least at some level , the 70/150 would be one of them , I'm mostly interested on 5,6-8 landscapes ,don't care much about wo .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I've read some statements before regarding some version of rokkor equalizing the primes , at least at some level , the 70/150 would be one of them , I'm mostly interested on 5,6-8 landscapes ,don't care much about wo .

Like Thomas said, the 75-200/70-210 mm zoom lenses can't equal the 200 mm f/4 at 200/210 mm and wide open, lacking border/corner sharpness and sporting stronger chromatic aberrations. But stopped down to f/8 or, better f/11, both lenses are capable of very good results throughout the frame. So for your purpose, the MD 75-200 f/4.5 would be just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
kiddo wrote:

The MD 200/4 is substantial better than the zoom lens on the long end, in every respect.

Thanks for your input, could you confirm if results are better for the prime on f8-11 landscapes ? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
tb_a wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Thanks for your input, could you confirm if results are better for the prime on f8-11 landscapes ? Thanks

Like Alsatian2017 mentioned, if F8 or even F11 are acceptable for you then no differences would be noticeable, at least in comparison with my MD III version.
However, the MD III is said to be the best of the 3 different Minolta MC/MD tele zoom versions, which cover the 200 mm on the long end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much ,i really appreciate your input .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: another from my Rokkor 200mm MD (on my E-M5iii) Reply with quote

Spring flowers are everywhere in Oregon now. Took this of the flowering tree behind my house, with my Olympus E-M5.3. Stopped down to about f/5.6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Magnolia flower Reply with quote

One more, taken with my Tele Rokkor MD-II 200mm, at about f/5.6, ISO 800, of the flowering magnolia tree behind my house.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I purchased a Minolta MD II (First versión, oldest formula, better coated) .200/4.
And sold my Sigma 100-400 for Sony FE .
More light and more fast is the Minolta.
Reduced to aps-c is equivalent to 300 mm lens.
With my a1 or 7RIV I hope nice pics.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you'll nor be disppointed ... while I think the 4/200 is a valid lens for 24 MP FF, it needs "ideal parameters" when using my 43 MP A7RII. Longitudinal CAs ("purple fringing") are quite visible wide open, and lateral CAs must be removed as well when using 50 MP FF sensors.

Let us know what you think after using it a while!

S