Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD question Reply with quote

On the ferry on the way to Germany I went up on the deck for some air and met a group of teenagers on a History visit to see the trenches at Ypres. They were using a very nice Minolta camera and they let me have a play with it. I was impressed, but I didn't note the model. When I got home I started looking at Minoltas and found this XG-M for repair: Click here to see on Ebay, which I thought was worth a gamble. It arrived this morning and guess what, I got it working almost immediately, thanks to new batteries and 2 minutes with the bottom plate off. Apart from a tiny scratch on the lid it's in mint condition - all it needs is a case, strap and lens cap (now bidding).

From the description I was hoping it might be a 1.2/50 lens but it's actually 2.0/50 Sad I have a MD Adaptall so I can use my Tamrons with it and also the M42s How do Minolta or Rokkor lenses match up with Zeiss/Pentax etc? Are there any really good prime lenses to look out for?

Last edited by peterqd on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Minolta lenses they are good as any Japanese lenses.
You can find samples in Gallery with Minolta 2/100 (rare or ultra rare)
Minolta MD 2.5/105mm available on Ebay monthly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XGM is a great camera - this is what I used for years (my X70 is the Japanese version of it).
The biggest advantage I can think of for the MD mounts is that all the Minoltas fit - they've never screwed with the mount until the Autofocus stuff.
Don't know if you've investigated the links yet but my two favourites are :

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/
(He even gives some head to head lens comparisons of variations of the lenses.)
http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/index.htm
His lists are great and you can even find out how to decode the letters to know the lens configurations.

There are M42 to MD adapters out there - personally I'm not totally comfortable with the adapter causing the lens to be always stopped down.
You've got a great camera enjoy!

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Love Minolta Lenses... Reply with quote

Hi. I have two Minoltas - the XD-11 and the X700 - they are both great cameras, and the lenses are very good. Minolta and Leica had a long partnership (The Leica R3 - R? were siblings of the Minolta cameras, and the transfer went both ways as what Minolta taught Leica about SLR's Leica taught Minolta about optics! I have had a Leica with a Summicron, and Minoltas with Rokkors, and my friends cannot tell which is from which on 16x20 prints or scans from the negatives so they are pretty good lenses on those Minoltas!

Hope you enjoy. Complete re-seal kits ready cut are alos available, as are skins if the leather has gone home.. More a problem with infamous cameras like my Konica TC but if you need same they are out there...

Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Jim and Doug. I wasn't sure this was a wise move, but you've cheered me up! And thanks for the links, I already knew one of them but the rokkorfiles is a great new resource!

My lenses are all M42 apart from two K-mounts and the Tamron Adaptalls, and I've been looking for an M42 camera to use them on that's a little more advanced than the Spotmatics, such as the Chinon CE-3 but they don't up very often and seem to be selling at well over £50. I could use the M42s on the two Pentax K cameras but I'm not fond of the adapter since I nearly dropped a lens. So the Minolta (with a much more secure M42 adapter) was in my thoughts when this camera appeared, and I took the gamble. I've got the adapter on order.

I'm pleased with the camera so far. It doesn't feel as solid and heavy as the Spotmatics, but it has a lovely bright viewfinder with split screen and also a DOF preview button, which is one step above even the ME-Super. The only fault I can find is that the little window showing the aperture in the viewfinder doesn't seem to be working. The seals seem fine ATM, although the mirror bumper looks a bit chewed, but it'll keep till those long winter evenings! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this when you use the Rokkor lens or you Tamrons?
The clarity of this viewer if I'm correct very much depends on the lens - right time period of both ( Confused , I think) I believe either of the two links I passed on cover this. if you get one of the auto flashes it will automatically sync while on auto and the LED will flash when ready.
If you want a little more heft you can get a winder - 4 AA cells add a little weight Very Happy

Have fun,
Jim