Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD and Minolta AF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Minolta MD and Minolta AF Reply with quote

Hi folks

I was wondering, are the early Minolta AF lenses optically the same as the late Minolta MD lenses?

For instance, are the AF 1.7/50 and 2.8/28 optically the same lens as the MD versions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that too, but couldn't find any definitive answer.
More specifically, I have had the 1.7/50 both in md mount ('80s minolta plain md 1.7 50, no rokkor) and the af version, and they both were extremely good, among the sharpest 50's i've used, and look similar enough to make me think they are similar (or the same) design.
But I couldn't go any further than this, especially because I sold the md long ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I had an older 1.7/50 Rokkor and I agree, one of the sharpest 50s around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers. I had an older 1.7/50 Rokkor and I agree, one of the sharpest 50s around.

+ same here. The MD version I have is my favorite 50mm lens. I`ve heard that at least the majority of lenses that are AF are as good as the MD versions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the following are based on MD versions
35-70
35-105
70-210

Ian I was over in Kendal today, and spotted the following place, I dont know how far this is from you, but i thought of calling in to see you, but i was pushed for time so i visited this place.
Also the Barnardos shop there had a few old Zenits one with aSoligor f2.8 135 a 35mm f2.8 soligor and helios 44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the af 1,4/50? Is it the following md or mc version?

If it's the mc, it's grest.

The mc pg is the sharper 50 minolta ever made in sr mount, at least in my taste.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always assumed the optical formulas would have received at least minor changes from MD to MA generation. That said, I remember briefly reading something recently that suggested that many of the early MA lenses were exact carry overs from the MD counter parts in terms of optical formula...only changes being the coatings (and of course the AF mechanics).

I'd certainly be interested in knowing the whole story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
I believe that the following are based on MD versions
35-70
35-105
70-210

Ian I was over in Kendal today, and spotted the following place, I dont know how far this is from you, but i thought of calling in to see you, but i was pushed for time so i visited this place.
Also the Barnardos shop there had a few old Zenits one with aSoligor f2.8 135 a 35mm f2.8 soligor and helios 44

Kendal's about 40 miles. You're most welcome to pop by if you're in the area again.

Didn't realise they had a Greenhalgh's in Kendal, must have opened fairly recently. All I know about them is there's been a big baker's in Preston of that name for a long time, no idea if they are related. I expect so, at some dim and distant past point, as the village of Greenhalgh is halfway between Preston and Blackpool and I reckon we must all hail from there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well that's been, like, 30 years?

I heard rumors that the 50/3.5 is the same
About the 75-200/4.5, it could be suspected, it is a strange case of showing up by fourth-grade resellers for AF!

Can't really be told without reliable source for lens diagrams I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the AF Minoltas coming onto the market. The inference from Minolta's marketing-speak to the UK trade was that there was an entirely new family of lenses for the 9000-7000-5000 family. Certainly, some of the AF lenses had no counterparts in the MD range. But that's not to say some of the existing designs weren't carried over into the AF series. Unfortunately, looking at lens schematics won't necessarily tell us if curves/separations/glass types were changed or not. The best indication is probably to read through what the contemporary photo mags had to say - if they can be tracked down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 50 / 1.7 in MD and AF, and the 35-70 / 3.5 MD and 35-70 / 4 AF. Visually it's hard to tell, impossible really. But from what I've read on the Minolta sites the word is - they use the same optics. but that might be fanboy talk?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has a couple of Minolta lenses af and md
He has a Panasonic G1 micro 4/3 rds camera got two adapters one af to micro 4/3 rds mount the other a md to micro 4/3 rds mount do not fit his lenses all I know is one is a Minolta 70 - 210 from his old slr 35 mm he says it is a bayonet type fitment any ideas please on what adapter he needs
Sounds like a A mount but I'm not sure and wont see the lens till this Sunday so can't post yet .Please someone explain what is going on. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds odd... and indeed difficult to explain without further knowledge of what's involved. There are only the two sorts of Minolta mount- AF and MD (which is the same as MC and the preset ones), so if he has one of each type of M4/3 adapter, things should fit. Perhaps the most sensible plan is to wait until you've seen what he has.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVEG wrote:
My friend has a couple of Minolta lenses af and md
He has a Panasonic G1 micro 4/3 rds camera got two adapters one af to micro 4/3 rds mount the other a md to micro 4/3 rds mount do not fit his lenses all I know is one is a Minolta 70 - 210 from his old slr 35 mm he says it is a bayonet type fitment any ideas please on what adapter he needs
Sounds like a A mount but I'm not sure and wont see the lens till this Sunday so can't post yet .Please someone explain what is going on. Thank you.

Maybe the MD adapter isn't locking. If so press the lens release catch when mounting the lens. It will click in to position. Otherwide I dunno, I have lenses from both systems and each mounts on its respective adapter.

Ahh, I remember the AF mount can be a tight fit where the aperture actuator is. There should be an adjustment screw on the bit that operates the aperture. Give it a turn anticlockwise (from the camera end), that may do it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically minolta 35mm lenses have two mounts: SR (often referred to as MC or MD) and AF (or MA).
The former is the mount of the famous rokkor lenses (among others), and basically all the manual focus era lenses produced by minolta, the latter is the standard for Auto Focus lenses and cameras. To know what adapter you need (both are available, iirc) you have to understand to what of the above groups the lens belongs.
Usually SR mount have the look and feel of old lenses: heavy metal bodies with shaped or rubber grips, aperture rings, no electronic contacts on the back. AF ones are usually made of plastic (even if with nice build quality), usually don't have an aperture ring (that is controlled through the camera), and you can clearly see the contacts on the back. There are also differences in lettering style and minolta logos. Much more easily, the sr mount ones have MC or MD written on the name plate, while af lenses bear the "Minolta AF" inscritpion.
If the lens turns out to be AF mount be careful to choose an adapter with the aperture ring: i have one for nex that hasn't got it, and your lens wouldn't be usable with that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am not sure what adapters he has got I believe one was imported from the US and the other from London.I have a Praktica b to m 4/3rds and that's tight but my OM is slick so till I get a look at them tho. But thanks for the info often difficult when your friends know nothing about there equipment other than a shutter button. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am not sure what adapters he has got I believe one was imported from the US and the other from London.I have a Praktica b to m 4/3rds and that's tight but my OM is slick so till I get a look at them tho. But thanks for the info often difficult when your friends know nothing about there equipment other than a shutter button. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've got the 50 / 1.7 in MD and AF, and the 35-70 / 3.5 MD and 35-70 / 4 AF. Visually it's hard to tell, impossible really. But from what I've read on the Minolta sites the word is - they use the same optics. but that might be fanboy talk?

MD 35-70/3.5 vs AF 35-70/4: They are optically totally different animals.
MD: 7 gr / 8 el
AF: 6 gr / 6 el + one aspherical surface of plastic mold

35-105's are optically same lens.

70-210/4's are most likely same lens optically, but not 100% sure of it.

I don't now about 50/1.7's.

AF 50/1.4 was originally a copy of the last MD 50/1.4, but later model was
optically different, so Minolta named it "50/1.4 NEW"