Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 200mm 4.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 200mm 4.0 Reply with quote

Went to the zoo in Amersfoort today, first time I had been there. A nice zoo in the woods with some interesting places to take pictures. I brought my Olympus E-M1 MkII (micro four thirds, so 2x crop factor) and my Minolta 200mm f/4 MDII version (the second lighter weight MDII version). I unintentionally shot half the day wide open (f/4) in stead of one stop down as I usually do. But as it turns out I got more keepers from f/4 than from f/5.6, probably due to shutter speed. Everything was shot at ISO400. Converted from RAW to JPG "Fine" with no edits, this is as shot.

Somehow I always come back with a few really nice pictures from the Minolta 200mm (I have also have the MDIII version).

This one is my favorite of the day I think.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't bad at all for f4 or f5.6.

I try to go as low as possible with ISO.
Good bright daylight usually allows use of ISO 64 for me with most of my lenses.
For most of the 200mm lenses in my stable, I've found f8 to be optimal.

At times in heavy over-cast with a 200mm on white-tailed deer that are skittish, I'm forced to ISO 400.
The bodily movements of these deer can be quite jerky and rapid.

Nikkor 200mm A/i f4 at F8, ISO 400

One of my better wildlife photo's, taken right here in town.
Image is a crop.
I think the shutter speed had to be at least 1/250 sec (more likely 1/500 sec) to get this detail level.
Heavy overcast drove contrast quite low.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

This baboon was at f/4.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:

This baboon was at f/4.

Regards, C.

That lens is definitely a keeper with wide open performance like that!

Like 1 Like 1

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

-D.S.

... especially if one considers that the E-M1 is u4/3 and has 20 MP. Pixel desity corrsponds to 80 MP in Full Frame!!!

Several 4/200mm lenses from around 1980 are quite good (Canon nFD, Nikon AiS, Minolta MC-X and MD-I, Yashica ML-C, Mamiya Sekor E ...). Due to the combination of builit quality and performance I consider the Minolta MC-X to be the "best", but I don't know - for instance - the Zuiko 4/200 or the Pentax-A 4/200.

That said, the Pentax-M and the Konica AR 4/200m lenses are visibly weaker than the other lenses mentioned before.

Of course the Nikon AiS 2.8/180mm ED, let alone the Leica R 3.4/180mm APO are even better, but that's anoter class of lenses, for sure.

S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Several 4/200mm lenses from around 1980 are quite good (Canon nFD, Nikon AiS, Minolta MC-X and MD-I, Yashica ML-C, Mamiya Sekor E ...). Due to the combination of builit quality and performance I consider the Minolta MC-X to be the "best", but I don't know - for instance - the Zuiko 4/200 or the Pentax-A 4/200.

That said, the Pentax-M and the Konica AR 4/200m lenses are visibly weaker than the other lenses mentioned before.

Of course the Nikon AiS 2.8/180mm ED, let alone the Leica R 3.4/180mm APO are even better, but that's anoter class of lenses, for sure.

S

My alternate "zoo" lens is the Canon nFD 200/4.0 which I have used for quite a few zoo trips. I recently acquired a Nikon AI 200/4 (not the AIS... is there a difference?) but haven't used it much yet. I also do like the Zuiko 200/4 but the Minolta and Canon are both about 100 grams lighter weight than the Zuiko or Nikon which for me is a relevant consideration when carrying it around all day (health issues, long story).

So I gather the Pentax-A and Pentax-M are not the same in terms of optical quality? I have a Pentax-M, but I guess I will have to find a Pentax-A Smile

Regards, C.