Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.4/50: faraway, so close
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.4/50: faraway, so close Reply with quote

Focused at MFD and then close to infinity in the same position. The camera is slightly shifted up for the second shot.

At f5.6 on Sony Nex, autocontrast applied.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that supposed to be "art" or what??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering of the MC 50/1,4 is so nice.

Sharpness, contrast, one of the best 50/1,4 lenses.

Very good rendering in harsh light.

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably got 'better' lenses than the MC 50 / 1.4. But it also probably my most used 50'ish lens. It's just excellent and I trust it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Papasito and Lloydy, for your positive feedback. Hasenbein, also for your sceptic one. Hope you have nothing serious to say against art Question

I have an impression that Minolta PG 1.4/50 and Pakticar (Pancolar) 1.4/50 may be complementary in some way. I posted similar "unpleasant" scenes shot with the Prakticar, including at MFD. But the light was different and I used it wide open. So, this is not a direct comparison yet.

I was very much impressed with Minolta coating capable to manage most difficult light situations, so fully agree with you both on this point. It works marvelously for nature and city shooting.

What is less convincing, are female portraits. Minolta renders so punchy colours and contrasts that it gives a very palpabale materiality to the body. Maybe an excessive materiality. When I asked a lady I shot with several different lenses, including this one, her absolute preference went to... Jupiter 8! The latter has a "worse" microcontrast and resistance to flare, but it gives to the skin a kind of airy shine and softness which are difficult to resist.

While the reaction of flowers, as compared to ladies, remain unknown after we shoot them. So, our judgement is the only one that rules. This one is shot with Minolta at f4, with contrast boosted.