Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

minolta lens to canon adapter!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: minolta lens to canon adapter! Reply with quote

i bought a minolta rokkor pg 58mm f1.2 with a minolta x-1. i also have a minolta w.rokkor.HH 35mm f1.8 and 2 more minolta md mount lens...these lens are great! i would like to use them on a canon 1d mark2N, but could someone advice me a really good adapter with glass for this? since without glass there arent any...since these lenses are professional ones, i would like the glass of the adapter to be also professional.if someone has any, can you post some images so they would make an idea on how worse the image will get using the adapter?...

modifying the lens is not an option, since i want to preserve its original nature...and will use it on my minolta x-1, but i could be interested in modifying them in T-mount, because i have such and adapter for my minolta x-1 and also for canon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T mount conversion won't be possible.

You can convert MD mount lenses to EOS, there are many technicians who will do this.

It's really a waste of time to use an adapter with glass, just reduces the IQ too much.

Either convert them to EOS or use them on a mirrorless digital.

You could then buy a film EOS body and still use them on film.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you say that a coversion of minolta lens to Tmount would pe possible?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in touch with member Ricardovaste or visit his site http://www.rharris-images.com/lens-adapters/ I'm sure he can supply you with a non destructive kit enabling you to refit old mount back if desired, not sure about the 35 but for sure the 58, don't bother with adapters you won't be happy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conversion MD-EOS would be possible, conversion MD-T-mount is impossible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i thought that minolta -Tmoutn conversion is impossible when i saw the adapter of Tmount- canon eos ))
i was told that the 35mm is not possible to change using any kit. Jim Buchanan sells a kit for 58mm, but its kind of expensive..
maybe with a canon lens back the conversion is possible.. i guess i would be able to drill some holes..but it must be sure i can at least close to infinity..does anybody know?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my post above.
I have a 85/1.7, 58/1.2, 58/1.4 and the 35/1.8 converted to maf and have the old mounts to refit, the only one I can't revert is a 85/1.7, kits will probably be around £85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am searching for a cheaper version of modifying this lens. 85euro is alot more than i payed for both 35mm and 58mm..
besides, minolta w.rokkor.hh 35mm f1.8 mount change is also irreversable.
still my question remanins : the back of the minolta lens replaced with the back of a canon lens will give me the infinity or at least somenthing close to infinity?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html
i found this method. he cut off some of teh back of the lens, since it would hit the mirror of a 5D, which is full-frame. on an Aps-h sensor (1.3 cop factor) i guess this would not be necessary .. am i right ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did very well to get both for 85 euros, average for the 35 I would have thought around 170 and 350 for the 58

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said less ) a lot less..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buga wrote:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html
i found this method. he cut off some of teh back of the lens, since it would hit the mirror of a 5D, which is full-frame. on an Aps-h sensor (1.3 cop factor) i guess this would not be necessary .. am i right ?

I suppose on a 1.3 crop you don´t need to file down the back retaining ring of the lens.
This link is my old conversion of the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2.
Today I would probably go the adapter way.
I made an adapter to use Minolta lenses on both Minoltaanalog cameras and Canon EOS (D)SLR cameras:
http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Minolta-Canon-EOS-Adapter.html
But on both systems without automatic iris, and with iris lever modification!

I plan to make some more of the adapters.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to get one, but the price is a concern. besides, i dont have acces to a paypal account, so even if it is there o n the internet, i am not able to buy it! i saw such adapters for about 60$, but its kind of a lot, taking into account the money i paid for the lens, and the fact that i am a student. danke fur das INfo! )ich habe schon seine Arbeit gesehen, aber ich habe keine geschirr es mir selbst zu machen.

here is a photo of my beauty )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took some time to think things over, and realised:
i have a rokkor PG 58mm F1.2
W.rokkor HH 35mm f1.8
Rokkor PF 58mm f1.4
and instead of converting them to canon eos, i would like to convert them to m42 mount, so i will be able to use these lens on both digital and film cameras. who knows, is it possible? has anyone tried it ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't convert them, you will destroy their value.

Keep using them on film and consider getting a mirrorless camera like a NEX that you can use them on without damaging them forever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would have never destroyed them, but nex is not what i want, nor in the budget, neither the way i shoot. . besides, the most important thing for me, is that the lens transformation is reversable. in case of both 58mm i am sure that it is reversible, only 4 screws down and a replacement of the mount. not sure about 35mm f1.8, this is my concern. if it would be irreversible, i wouldnt even change its mount, because it will involve a skilled man , and money, a lot of money...
i have a minolta x-1 film camera, which is a great tool, and i still wish using it, that.s why i want to convert them to m42, because i have an adapter, m42 lens for minolta md )
i want to preserve the history! )
p.s. my entire comment sound like an excuse ))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it could be ok not to reach infinity, buy a glassless adapter (cheap ones you find on ebay) and see if it focuses far enough, they are cheap and worth a try, before starting risky DIY conversion on valuable lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i solved a mistery !
i have a Helios 44-6 , and i took its back apart, and tried to put it on the minolta rokkor 58mm f1.2 back! and, im almost there..but i guess to make things easier, i would need a back from another lens, also very cheap and also m42 thread.
with red and blue are marked pieces that must be cut.
has anyone try this? its just a thought, but i guess it may work..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and also i have put it on top of the rokkor back (of course it doesnt fit but after removing the red part it will), and 3 screws match perfectly, so on the m42 adapter would be needed only one hole to be made!