Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta Dual Scan II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Minolta Dual Scan II Reply with quote

I won on this scanner on low price. I expect better result than from my Epson V500. Any experience ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it with some slide scans I recently did with my flatbed for comparison.

a little blurb:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=minolta+scan+dual+ii&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scantips.com%2Fdual2.html&sg=wG8Sm%2BWlC9OGD5PbJ0jFIZZm1hmIPAlraOqNx28misI%3D&tsp=1269551115479

If I like this a lot, maybe you won't have any experience, maybe next
time. Just kiddin'! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own V500 + scandual II. Compared to V500 it's a better option for 35mm scanning.
The only limit is that it's a little bit soft, but a kind of softness easy to fix with gimp tools.

Here is some sample:

BW shot with fuji 1600, slides thanks to Velvia Power©

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this scanner, too. It's an old model and is not perfect, but OK if bought inexpensively. First, you *might* have trouble connecting it via a USB port to your PC. I mean, it may occasionally hang in the middle of scanning. This can happen if your motherboard has NVIDIA nForce chipset. Solution: an add-on PCI USB2 card. Another thing, this scanner does not have an infrared dust/scratch removal technology; a PITA when scanning color film (won't matter for black and white as the tech doesn't work with silver-based films). Other than that, I used Vuescan instead of the bundled crapware.

The scanner itself is *very* sharp. At least the scratches it scans could not appear any sharper. Any softness other users experience may be user error (during shooting, developing film, or scanning).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for good advices!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

The scanner itself is *very* sharp. At least the scratches it scans could not appear any sharper. Any softness other users experience may be user error (during shooting, developing film, or scanning).

Confused Mmmh if so I think that mine might have some focus issue, since in my case the scratch also aren't super-sharp. No matter how much I try with manual focus.

Consider that I've also tried with a test photo, taking a picture if my monitor with a sonnar 200/2,8, well stopped down to f:8 with fuji velvia. When I project to the wall it's easy to see every single dot, while is not possible with the scans. Consider the photo of the motorcycle posted above, it's killer sharp even projected at 150 cm wide, while scanned you are waching already the maximum magnification possible without losing some detail.

So every time, when I edit the image I've to choose if keep sharp edges or the fine texture in the shadows, thats too bad.

Can someone post some sample got with the scandual II?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting these 100% crops of full-resolution scans. The pictures themselves aren't sharp (slightly misfocused pictures shot with Helios-44-2 on old Soviet films hardly ever produce stunning sharpness), but look at the scratches Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Mmmh no, my scanner can't do that.
Do you think that is time to open it an clean something?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if this is useful:-

http://largeformatphotography.info/scan-comparison/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work with windows vista?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you have Vuescan it should since it uses its own scanner driver.

I have a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 which is a newer model but there are no supported minolta drivers for Vista or Win 7.
Anyway with Vuescan the minolta scanner works with Windows 7 without problems. I even managed to get an old Canon 2700F Scsi scanner to work with Win 7.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paperinik wrote:
Confused

Mmmh no, my scanner can't do that.
Do you think that is time to open it an clean something?

I don't think you can make it better. Worse, maybe, but not better. I would try Vuescan and focusing before every frame, but that's about all you can do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
Quote:

If you have Vuescan it should since it uses its own scanner driver.

I have a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 which is a newer model but there are no supported minolta drivers for Vista or Win 7.
Anyway with Vuescan the minolta scanner works with Windows 7 without problems. I even managed to get an old Canon 2700F Scsi scanner to work with Win 7.

Thanks. I never thought of that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll , hello , Attila, any updates ? Smile
I am curious, being myself in the process of aquirind a III model

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use a few times I prefer Epson V500, it has better software than Minolta have it. Epson V500 faster it is scan 12 frames at same time. Overall I like Epson better so I am selling Dual Scan now. If you use Vuescan and adjust it frame by frame Dual Scan can be better I think.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same scanner, and recently posted a comparison of the same negative scanned with a Plustek 7400, an Epson 4490, and the ScanDual II. The ScanDual works very well with VueScan, and while it's slightly softer than the Plustek, it's much sharper than the Epson, and a light touch of USM will make scans really sharp.

Here are the images I posted in the other thread, the order is Plustek/Minolta/Epson.

Full frame

100% crop, no USM

100% crop, USM in Gimp (Plustek and MInolta 1.5/1/3, Epson 2/1.5/3)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thenk you for the replies.
I just won a Dual scan III on Ebay , I am waiting it to come in a week ,maybe. I know the software is kinda crap ,but plan to give it a try.If it doesn't fit , I'll go VueScan or maybe Silverfast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VueScan is very good and not too expensive, especially the non-pro version.