Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Micro Nikkor-P.C 3.5/55 vs Macro-Hexanon 3.5/55
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Micro Nikkor-P.C 3.5/55 vs Macro-Hexanon 3.5/55 Reply with quote

I happened to compare two macro lenses, both well reputed. Put on Sony Nex, some detail is noted in the chart. You may click on the image to see it in larger resolution.

The results look really close.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Thank you!

I want to say the center images are swapped. The white balance on first pair is different; right side is warmer.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not precisely. It's just an effect of autocontrast applied to both shots. I wished to avoid difference in colour balance set by the camera for each lens, and it worked the other way round.

Here are the SOOC jpegs of both, just resized.

Micro Nikkor

Macro Hexanon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the photos you show my preference would be the Micro-Nikkor, but I don't think I could really explain why. Do you have a preference or do you use the lenses for different subjects, light situaions, indoor-outdoor etc.?
Lex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging by the first picture, the dof of the hexanon seems to be higher, there´s more area in focus, or maybe focusing point it is not the same on both pictures? it is still unclear to me on the the chair there seems to be less blurry area, i´m confused
On the long distance shots, probably hexanon do a bit better , but of course 3.5 shouldn´t be the one to tell which one is best

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo on the right is better

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might for sure have shifted a bit the focusing point going from one lens to the other, as well as the physical point from which I was shooting handheld, thus contributing to the bokeh difference in complex background items.

The point I wished to demonstrate is that the difference between the two lenses is surprisingly small. So if you've got one or another for a good price, you should not be worried too much about the "best choice". Both perform very well, being very close all-purpose runners.

By the way, when I got the Macro Hexanon for 45 euros several years ago, I considered it as a really good catch for the price. I see now several Micro Nikkors (always 3.5/55) at local French boards for 45 and 50 euros, and ask myself if that is a particularly good moment to buy a macro lens if someone wishes it, or the era of high demand for macro + Nikon mark is over.