Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 1.8 50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 1.8 50 Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am have started using MF lenses (after 20 years away from them).

I purchased two Nova 1B cameras along with this lens from a great older man. Lots of fun hearing his stories and seeing his collection of photos and cameras.

I really enjoy the close focus ability of this lens. I like the way it slows the process down and I like the way it looks.

I am not entirely sure how to post photos to this forum, so am including a link. http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/200912/2251_IMG_5539_4.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35476421@N04/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Oreston 1.8 50 Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Orlie. Don't think you can add a new image with your first post here. Here is your picture and link. Interesting image you have there. What is it?

Orlie wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the forum and am have started using MF lenses (after 20 years away from them).

I purchased two Nova 1B cameras along with this lens from a great older man. Lots of fun hearing his stories and seeing his collection of photos and cameras.

I really enjoy the close focus ability of this lens. I like the way it slows the process down and I like the way it looks.

I am not entirely sure how to post photos to this forum, so am including a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35476421@N04/
[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit more difficult to show a len's sharpness on round objects unless you have a good DOF....the Meyer is a very good lens for the money and great for people with DSLRs.
But as a film user if I had to choose between say MTL3 with Meyer or Helios lens for £10 or canon T70 or Om20 with their standard 50mm lenses for £25, I'd pay the £15 more

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Lens Sharpness Reply with quote

I agree on DOF for sharpness. I have done some shots stopping down and like the results. I chose to keep this shot at f /2 and wanted to compose it hand held.

I am guessing a modern day lens as you suggest would provide a higher image quality, however, this is a fun lens to explore at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a film user I'm happy with the Pentacon (later version of your Meyer). They're great lenses and better than the cheap plastic primes that you pay 10x as much for.

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lens Sharpness Reply with quote

Orlie wrote:

I am guessing a modern day lens as you suggest would provide a higher image quality, however, this is a fun lens to explore at this time.

Well it wasn't that, as in my tests the Meyer stands up with a range of my lenses. It's just inconvenient remembering to stop down for all m42 lens on a more modern camera.
The Meyer is very annoying trying to take a shot whilst holding the manual/auto f stop switch down, using an adapter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orlie,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

I too, i have an Oreston, and i'm quite happy with its bokeh ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Description of Photo Reply with quote

The image is of a lamp base (or middle of the lamp) in front of a window overlooking our yard. I simply enjoyed the light and color while trying out the lens.

The lamp is about 80 years old and I felt the warmth cast by the light presented an interesting contrast to the colder view outside.

I would not have taken this photo if I did not have the lens; I guess if you try something new it opens up some exploration and a lot of fun.

I have also read that this lens may work well reversed for macro photography, especially with bellows. At some point I may try that. One of the other lenses I purchased was a Vivitar 90mm 2.5 Macro that allows for 1:1. This is a wonderful lens to explore.

I agree that MF lenses are not as convenient as more modern lenses and I am getting used to focusing wide open and then stopping down. I still like my modern AF prime lenses, but am enjoying slowing down with the MF.