Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer 300/4 Orestegor - couple of snaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Meyer 300/4 Orestegor - couple of snaps Reply with quote

The sun came out for 30 secs and I happened to have this old gent mounted on my 5D. Acceptably sharp wide open.

Black cat in sunshine - never easy Smile

Interesting purple fringe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmelvis wrote:
How long have you had the lens?

I've had the lens for about 4 months and I take it out occasionally for moon shots usually, but it's had very little use. One of these days I aim to go through my lens collection and actually use them, to see how they perform Smile

100% crop on this particular one is OK Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad and `accaptably sharp' is probably fair.

What's CA like on this lens? I've a Tamron 300mm and it's sharper than your samples, but CA can render it useless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite lenses. For the focal length, I find mine to have relatively little CA, and what is there is very controllable. If I remember correctly, yours is an older zebra.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Not bad and `accaptably sharp' is probably fair.

What's CA like on this lens? I've a Tamron 300mm and it's sharper than your samples, but CA can render it useless.

Acceptably sharp..... Smile

CA is there, but not uncomfortably so

I have certainly seen a lot worse than this lens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need muscular arms and this is a very good lens Laughing I did call 'Arny' lens when I had one. Pentacon 300mm f4 even more heavier. I did like both optical quality just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Need muscular arms and this is a very good lens Laughing I did call 'Arny' lens when I had one. Pentacon 300mm f4 even more heavier. I did like both optical quality just fine.

Yes, not the lens for a casual stroll Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite of mine as well....shot at night with extension tubes...wide open through a large picture window...tripod

A shot from about 10 meters stopped down a wee bit to about f5 through a large picture window,focused on the eye of the Stellar Jay...tripod

A shot from absolute minimum focus distance...wide open...monopod

A shot with 72mm of extension tubes...wide open...can't remember if this was monopod or tripod...probably monopod

A shot in the evening just before sunset...wide open...monopod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f/4 ? .... Woww ... very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Boomer, and good to see you here again. I particularly like that first blue flower picture. I think the lens is plenty sharp at any aperture, but there is much more to this lens that provides an overall great IQ. It's hard to nail down exactly what all that is - maybe the color, maybe bokeh, maybe everything. I tend to like telephotos for portraitture, and this lens provides me with what I think are very pleasing portraits, although one has to set up rather far from the subject Smile A tripod is a necessity for all but the very muscular with great stamina. I can't resist sharing more from my lens... wish I kept better records of the exposure...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, very nice shots! See what you mean about this lens. Shame I can't find anything that isn't brown or dull red to shoot Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...those are some amazingly sharp images! The lens definitely does quite well stopped down and paints a unique picture.I need to use that lens more...been so busy,always have a camera or three with me...but I've rarely been home enough since last fall,which is where I keep the leviathan of a lens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very good lens indeed. Only 300mm is too long for me; even 200mm is on the border of what I use.