Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer 150mm f/5.5 vs. 150mm S-M-C Tak f/4, Sony A7 MII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Meyer 150mm f/5.5 vs. 150mm S-M-C Tak f/4, Sony A7 MII Reply with quote

HI all,

I was really impressed with Mo's "new" 150mm Meyer and the photos she and everyone else posted. To get a real feel for what this lens can do, I thought I would do a quick, non-critical comparison with the Asahi S-M-C 150mm f/4 screw mount on the Sony A7 MII. I shot both lenses handheld, wide open (f/5.5 for the Meyer and f/4 for the Asahi), from roughly the same position. ISO and WB was constant, shot in Aperture priority auto, and raw files were re-sized and labelled in Photoshop CC, with no PP. Lens shades were used on both. Glass on both is clean.

Conclusions: As expected, the Asahi wins in terms of resolution and contrast. Color cast seems very similar (slightly warm) to me. Bokeh is smoother on the Asahi, but not objectionable on the Meyer. I like both lenses, and while I feel the Asahi is technically a "better" and faster lens, the Meyer is not without its charms - it would work well for portraits and possibly b&w work that requires a vintage feel. The price of the Meyer is usually better than Asahi as well.

Here are the samples:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing these comparisons.
There really is very little difference in the selling prices of these two lenses by and large.
One would reaaallly have to want to render in the Telemegor's manner to pay the same money for it, if the SMC Takumar was available at a similar price.
I think that the SMC Takumar is on a different plane as far as overall qualities are concerned and your images show that to me.
Thanks again
OH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what I would expect to see. I have an ISCO 4.5/150 which is very good, so I only bought the slower Meyer hoping for bokeh effects. Even though I do like Meyer lenses, this one doesn't offer enough for me. Still, I would only use it for closer shots where bokeh can be better exploited.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been curious about the Asahi SMC 150/4,thanks for the comparision. Would there be a huge difference in the size of both lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have always been curious about the Asahi SMC 150/4,thanks for the comparision. Would there be a huge difference in the size of both lenses?

The Meyer isn't that much smaller, but it is considerably lighter.

Length:

Meyer 85mm @ infinity vs 100mm @ infinity for the Asahi

Girth:

Meyer 50mm at it's widest point vs. 57mm for the Asahi

Mass:

186 g for the Meyer vs. 330 g for the Asahi

. See the pic below:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a surprise,just goes to show those Pentax Asahi lenses are not big lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
That's a surprise,just goes to show those Pentax Asahi lenses are not big lenses.

More so when you notice that the Takumar is cranked out to minimum focus distance.
It is smaller when set at infinity.
Of course the Super Takumars seem to sell for a lot less than the SMC Takumars.
The cheapest way to get into SMC Takumar 150's is via the Pentax 67 route.
This has the added bonus of being faster (at f2.8 ) as well.
Not quite so small though.
OH

PS - I don't know why f2.8 came out with a smiley face....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add a blank after the 8 and it works! because eight + right bracket gives Cool

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
add a blank after the 8 and it works! because eight + right bracket gives Cool

Thank you Klaus.
Of course the Pentax 67 2.8/150 is very cool so the unintended smiley was OK.
Appreciate your editing as well
Cool
OH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax looks far superior to me,better contrast and the colours are more saturated.Meyer..Bokeh just a tad busier but nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]
mo wrote:

With just a few notable exceptions, the SMC takumars had the same optical formulae as the super-taks, just no multi-coating. Also, many of the final runs of super-taks were manufactured with the new multi coatings, making them SMC as well. I personally have found that the multicoating does add saturation and color, but nothing that couldn't easily be added in post processing.

Except for the size, the Pentax 6x7 and Pentax 645 lens are excellent performers (although, since made for the larger 6x7cm or 6x4.5 cm format, they often do not have as high a resolution as the the Asahi lenses made for 35mm. Of course, you are only using the center portion of the lens and you do also get the added bonus of tilts and shifts if you have such an adapter!

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pdccameras"]
Oldhand wrote:
mo wrote:

Except for the size, the Pentax 6x7 and Pentax 645 lens are excellent performers (although, since made for the larger 6x7cm or 6x4.5 cm format, they often do not have as high a resolution as the the Asahi lenses made for 35mm. Of course, you are only using the center portion of the lens and you do also get the added bonus of tilts and shifts if you have such an adapter!

Best,

Paul

Yes, you are right about the 6X7 lenses. Here is a sample from the 2.8/150
It is OK I think.
OH